Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EMPTY COOLANT

Jimma61

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu ute
has been great for a few years now but car overheated the other day temp gauge hit hot without me realising it was creeping and feel back down to operating temperature doesn’t seem to be any issues checked level looks like it’s conpletely dry is it time to fill it up without having to flush the radiator or is there a leak somewhere?

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
has been great for a few years now but car overheated the other day temp gauge hit hot without me realising it was creeping and feel back down to operating temperature doesn’t seem to be any issues checked level looks like it’s conpletely dry is it time to fill it up without having to flush the radiator or is there a leak somewhere?
Id fill it up with some flush and coolant also. Run it at idle and inspect all around applicable area's and check for leaks. Also make certain your thermo fans are activating at the correct temp, possibly at 96 deg for a ls1. Check in your rocker cover for milky substance also. If you have a blead screw you will need to remove air from the line or you will have a similar outcome also. If no leaks and no milky its building pressure and spitting it out the overflow.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I’d just start with plain water until you have the leaks and problems sorted. Once the system doesn’t leak and it holds pressure, drain, flush and then refill with the proper coolant.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
A very good reason now to check fluids under the bonnet daily now instead of once a week.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
A very good reason now to check fluids under the bonnet daily now instead of once a week.
Good suggestion, though I think most people would be lucky to check their fluids once a month! Explains the reason we see so many cars broken down on the roadside with owners standing there scratching their head.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Really.

If you have to check things daily to stop failures it's time for a new car.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Daily until he finds and fixes the leak..

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
I purchased Risolene rear main seal repair once. Made it a lot worse. Useless waste of money

Well you are mentioning a different part of the engine, he is discussing the cooling system.

The only way to fix a leaky rear main (engine oil) seal is the find the cause of the problem. There could be many causes.

One of them can be a combination of too much engine oil and built up pressure in the crank case which forces the engine oil past the rear main seal and that eventually kills it. So throwing Risolene Rear Main seal in that, won't fix anything. You have to replace that rear main seal.

If you have damaged the smooth surface on your crankshaft, eg. grooves in your crank shaft caused by grit in your engine oil getting between the rear main seal and the crank shaft, then the Risolene will sort that out and make that new rear main seal last longer, but you still have to address the cause of the problem being dirty engine oil full of metal grit and too much engine oil in a crank case that isn't venting through the PCV valves.

Last edited: