Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EMPTY COOLANT

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Really.
If you have to check things daily to stop failures it's time for a new car.

Might be time for a new (husband/or other) if the current one doesn't bother to check a few basic things now and then.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Well you are mentioning a different part of the engine, he is discussing the cooling system.
I understand that. My point is don't trust the hype on the Risolene it said 100% guarantee to fix all leaks. It did no such thing I had to replace the seal at great expense.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
A very good reason now to check fluids under the bonnet daily now instead of once a week.

Good suggestion, though I think most people would be lucky to check their fluids once a month! Explains the reason we see so many cars broken down on the roadside with owners standing there scratching their head.

Really.

If you have to check things daily to stop failures it's time for a new car.

I usually check once a week. I live in town most of the week and travel the 200km round trip once a week. It's when I get back to town I check coolant and oil levels, so I'm ready for the trip home a few days to a week later. I rarely need to top up. I check because it's a precaution to hopefully prevent a preventable breakdown where there is no mob coverage. Doesn't always work out, because the four breakdowns on my way home in the middle of nowhere have been due to unexpected component failure.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'm fairly much the same, do my usual checks on the weekend but if going long distance then I make sure to check each morning before taking off.

Jimma61

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu ute
Its a ecotec motor, temp sits at normal operating temp the heater still pumps out very hot air just occasionally freaks out and creeps over half then it brings itself back down. I’m only generally asking and I don’t want to have to pay big bucks for a fix because I’m flogging the car off in a few months generally the motor has not had any issues in years and I’ve always checked me fluids.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
It's really common for the ecotec intake manifold gaskets to fail and slowly loose coolant into the intake. Generally this is a slow progressing fault which first starts off with signs of oil in the coolant around the radiator cap and a slow loss of coolant rather then a drastic failure.

Jimma61

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu ute
It's really common for the ecotec intake manifold gaskets to fail and slowly loose coolant into the intake. Generally this is a slow progressing fault which first starts off with signs of oil in the coolant around the radiator cap and a slow loss of coolant rather then a drastic failure.

Had a good look at coolant it’s like rusty water no oil

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well that's not good either, do you run coolant or just plain water?

Top it up and try to see where it's loosing the coolant. Maybe it's a faulty thermostat and it's just boiled and dumped a lot of coolant or a waterpump that's come to the end of it's life.

Jimma61

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu ute
Well that's not good either, do you run coolant or just plain water?

Top it up and try to see where it's loosing the coolant. Maybe it's a faulty thermostat and it's just boiled and dumped a lot of coolant or a waterpump that's come to the end of it's life.

definitely got it done properly 2 years ago and never had a issue until now it’s been playing up recently I did notice a year ago the bottom hose leaking slightly so I tighten clamp which did the job I was going to give it a good flush today with some distiled water and go for a drive then dump it and put fresh coolant in

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd flush it and run water until you find the leak as you may end up having to dump the coolant again to fix what ever the issue is.