Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Enclosure advice

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
n jaycar dont have any ports with decent bends, i jst got 3 of their 90mm adjustable ports cut em all up so i get a nice 90deg bend, then coated it in sum 100mile tape.

Shoulda just got a heat gun, done it right istead of muckin around with prefab

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Jaycar ports will most likely be the wrong length. Use PVC pipe offcuts from a plumbing store.

900mm x 500mm x 500mm is 8 cubic foot... Double what you need. If you're going to do this, you need to do it properly or it's going to sound ****.

A 4 cubic foot box is 113268 cubic cm or 113.268 Litres.

How can i do it properly, or should i just go get the MDF re-cut before i start? its not a problem getting it re-cut cause i have to go back down there anywhere, because when i measued it, i forgot about overhang, so i have to take 40mm off both the side pieces so the top and bottom with will line up

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
By "do it properly" I mean you need to work out what size box will be 4cubic feet in volume and then get the wood cut to size. Remember that the internal volume is what matters.

You need to draw up the box and then do the math to find out what dimension timber you need. If you can't do L x W x H = Volume, you might need to get someone else to design it for you.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I thought you were saying i could do it with those dimensions. Well i made a box anyway, so i'll just see how it goes i guess. It's slightly larger internally than the sealed box the sub was originally in. I'm hoping it will atleast perform better, seeing as it's 6mm thicker , will be ported, silicone sealed, and dampened. As far as ports go, how far should they need to extend into the box?

Last edited:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
ok, dunno if this helps, from the front of the box, it's 435mm deep, so to the back wall. By 460mm high, ad 430 mm wide. Thats measured internally with a tape measure....I'm probably wasting my time, but hey i gotta start somewhere, and atleast if this enclosure doesnt work, well then i've at least built one, and have a much better idea of what i'm doing next time around

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
43.5cm x 46cm x 43cm = 86043cm^3 = 3.04ft^3

You'll need to use the ports recommended for the 3ft^3 box... Three 4" wide x 13" long ports.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I've never noticed on a sub box before ore than one port. If im putting 3 ports in, will it matter where they go? Stone X do you think the enclosure will turn out okay. Also i didnt screw it together, cause i dont have a drill instead i glued it and put a nail like every cm across?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
If those dimensions are right and you use the right size ports, it should sound fine. You'll have pretty much nailed Soundstreams recomended size and tuning.

What type of glue did you use? Typical wood glue or liquid nails work well.