Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Enclosure advice

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
That box is built for pure SPL, and using one port will almost always be louder over two or three smaller ports (ive tried 3 x 6" ports).

Ive still gotta load up some vids of this system in action, just havent had the time.

If the sub hits the port/s, just whack another layer of MDF on the baffle, it'll make it stronger and give you 18mm more depth to work with ;)

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Now that ive thought about it, every ported box ive ever seen only has one port on it. Which i would have preffered for simplicity.Soundstreams diagram states that i need three 4'' x 13'' ports. I'm just hoping that 3 ports is going to be worth it, and i dont waste my time with it

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I'll trial fitted the ports tonight, and that 3rd port aint gonna let put the sub in:bang: It says to use 3 x 4'' x 13'' ports, do you think it would ruin everything if i had 2 x 4'' x 13'' ports, and shortened that last one done to 4'' x 3.5''. I've messed around with adding another panel on the front of the baffle board, but even another 18mm dosesnt do it, i'd have to make the baffle board about another 80mm:wax:

Last edited:

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Alrighty, if you were to run only 2 3" ports, you'd have to make them around 6" long to get your 40hz tuning. Or a single 6" port would have to be 12" long to get 40hz tuning.

As per WinISD anyway....

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Just let one port go external... It's still a port, just not taking up the space in the box. It'll lower the tuning frequency a little bit, bu not much.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Thats what i was wondering , does it at all make a difference if the port is say 3.5 inches internal, ad then the rest of the port external? Id rather find a solution with the current ports seeing as i've already made all the holes and sealed the port flanges in..

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah that will be fine, as StoneX said it'll lower the tuning frequency abit (maybe 2-3hz) but that wont be an issue.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Thats cool, i've gone ahead and made the 3rd port external. Everything sealed -Note to self- wear gloves next time when using black silicone!! With the fiberglass resin, is there a particular way it should be apllied ? How many layer's would you generally apply?

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
No not really, just pur out about 200-300ml at a time and mix it with the catalyst. Then just use a normal (cheap) paint brush and apply it like paint ;)

Probably better to do two coats, as the first will soak into the MDF and make it stronger, then the second will add a smoother finish to the inside of the box.
*tip* use a little less catalyst on the first coat so it takes longer to dry, this way has more of a chance of soaking into the MDF properly, second coat just mix it normally.