Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Enclosure advice

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
hey guy's, i recently swapped from 2 x Velocity 10's to a single 15 inch Soundtream SPL sub, which i fitted to a sealed Beva Enclosure. Recently the box has broken collapsed around the outside of the sub, and in a few other places. Now i've searched the net, but the sub is an older model, so i cant find any spec's for it's ideal enclosure. So short of actually contacting soundstream, i was wondering if anyone knew some rough specs i could follow to create an optimum enclosure for it. I've always wanted to build my own enclosure, so i figure it's about time i gave it a go a go. I would also like to go for a ported enclosure this time around to. The previous box was made from 12mm MDF, should i go a little thicker?. I'm willing to sacrifice any and all sound quality to achieve maxuimum bass and SPL. I know that might sound a little odd, but i just removed a SQ system, and i'm merely just playing around and expereminting and having a bit of fun hitting those low notes:D

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
If you're building a ported enclosure, you need the EXACT specs or it won't work as designed.

Use 18mm minimum for sub boxes.

What's the model number of the sub?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
These are the recommended ported/vented boxes for the SPL15 model subwoofer.

The full manual can be found here. The manual has the T/S parameters for you to design a proper SPL box.

Attachments

• SPL15.JPG
    SPL15.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 214

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Thanks mate, i'll have a read through it, i must suck at searching on the net!!

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Yeah, 2nd page of results in Google when searching for "soundstream SPL15" :)

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
what would happen if i was to build a box larger than thier reccomended dimensions? And what size MDF is the best, cause the 12mm broke last time..

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I already told you to use 18mm MDF minimum :) Glue and screw it together. Pre-drill all holes. Then seal the internal seams with silicon or something similar. If you want to go crazy, line the whole inside of the box with fibreglass resin.

If you make the box larger, it changes the tuning frequency (lowers it) and frequency response.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Sorry dude i missed your post about the MDF and ports, i scrolled straight past it-

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Ok so i looked at the chart for the box dimesnions, and i couldnt make much of it, it says, either 2,3, or 4 foot (3) enclosure, i coulnd;t figure out the dimensions for a 4 foot (30hz) enclosure. Assuming that it would be quite large, i went to bunnings and had them cut up some 18mm MDF. So the box will be 900L x 500W x 500H. I'll put it together and see how it goes i guess. I'll have to pop into jaycar aswell and pick up some ports.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Jaycar ports will most likely be the wrong length. Use PVC pipe offcuts from a plumbing store.

900mm x 500mm x 500mm is 8 cubic foot... Double what you need. If you're going to do this, you need to do it properly or it's going to sound ****.

A 4 cubic foot box is 113268 cubic cm or 113.268 Litres.