Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Bay Cleaning - LS3 VF

MasterC

MasterC~VsCalais
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VF2
Hey Guys/Girls

When cleaning your engine bay, what do you cover up and how would you clean it?

I miss the old days of less computers and wireing and i would just blast the bay and not care.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
i wouldnt but if you have to i would avoid using a pressure sprayer because they can force water into the plugs and cause issues.
i would just degrease with a can and let it sit for a bit then wash it off with a garden hose.

MasterC

MasterC~VsCalais
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VF2
i wouldnt but if you have to i would avoid using a pressure sprayer because they can force water into the plugs and cause issues.
i would just degrease with a can and let it sit for a bit then wash it off with a garden hose.
Good point. I can shower with a hose. Do you cover anything? As in the fuse box etc?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Do you cover anything? As in the fuse box etc?

you can cover it but it is best to avoid the fuse box if you can, it will have a certain tolerance to water but you could just clean that area by hand with a damp rag.
the best practice is to try and avoid as much electrical crap as you can because once water gets in and the corrosion starts it is a total pain in the ass to locate and fix it.

MasterC

MasterC~VsCalais
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VF2
you can cover it but it is best to avoid the fuse box if you can, it will have a certain tolerance to water but you could just clean that area by hand with a damp rag.
the best practice is to try and avoid as much electrical crap as you can because once water gets in and the corrosion starts it is a total pain in the ass to locate and fix it.
ok cool... Sounds like wipedown top, and just hose right at the bottom if there is a need. If not than a wipedown is enough.

Thats what i normally do. Orange Agent the plastics and wipe down than dress. I dont hose down. Nice to know im on the right path

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
In the old days of using pressure cleaners in dumb cars, I always put a plastic bag over the brake reservoir (cause brake fluid loves water) and put a bag over the dizzy and the alternator (cause electricity hates water).

These days with smarts and wiring all over the place, I don’t often clean the engine bay but when I do, I still use a bag over the BMC reservoir. Then as stooge suggests, some degreaser sprayed around and left to soak for a bit before I wash it away with some water from a garden hose... I used to use a soft spay attachment on the garden hose that one normally uses for ferns and other delicate plants... but now I use a pressure cleaner on very soft (no pressure spray) since I occasionally do it when I’m about to wash the car and the pressure cleaner is in the driveway :)

Even being carful, it’s not uncommon to still get rough idle until the engine gets hot and boils away any water that managed to get where i5 shouldn’t be. So if you must do it, avoid electrical stuff as much as possible (but what’s then left to wash :eek: )

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Compressed air, not concentrated in any one spot, and away from things like the generator, no water, ever.
I didn't use water on the VZ, and I didn't use water on the ancient, long-gone Lexcen V6 wagon (with as much rudimentary and errant electronics as the first Wright Bros. do-da...).

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
if you do get water into something electrical like a plug use compressed air to get the water out and then spray/bomb it with this stuff

then use the air to blow that out, i use that stuff on macbook/computer mainboards before/after i repair them and it works well.

this would also work