Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Bay Cleaning - LS3 VF

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Been doing it for years and never had an electrical problem, using both garden hose AND pressure washer on the occassion. Just steer clear of exposed electricals and don't let water pool anywhere. Wipe down with a drying cloth so you don't get water/mineral spots.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I’ve got a semi-decent hand held steam cleaner. It’s got a long pointy nozzle which gets into nooks and crannies without the risk of water ingression.

If it’s filthy, car detailers will safely clean the ‘bay for a few bucks as well.

MasterC

MasterC~VsCalais
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VF2
I’ve got a semi-decent hand held steam cleaner. It’s got a long pointy nozzle which gets into nooks and crannies without the risk of water ingression.

If it’s filthy, car detailers will safely clean the ‘bay for a few bucks as well.
OOOO. Steam. Thats a good idea. Steam and wipe.....

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
The first consideration before arriving at a cleaning solution it to determine how dirty it is and what is the nature of the contaminants.

If it's just dust and/or with a greasy film than a wipe over with a damage cloth (though I tend to use 303 Aerospace Protectant on the cloth) and a bit of time and small hands is all that's required.

Leaves and the like are easily moved with compressed air.

If there is an oil problem and this shouldn't be the case with newer cars then stronger chemicals are required along with a means to deliver water or a washing fluid to the area.

There are some good heavy duty cleaning fluids on the market if it's bad enough to need them.

I prefer steam as it's very effective and handheld streamers are cheap to buy but be aware you'll have the floor to consider when you move the car so lay down a protective layer of plastic or a big old floor mat is what I use then let it dry out and roll it up for another day.

I don't use a high pressure cleaner as I see it as an over kill in my opinion, certainly there are some jobs when they are ideal but it's not usually the case.

If I need a jet of water then I use a garden hose pressure sprayer like this as they are cheap around $16 to $25 or alternatively the one in the second photo as they give more options.

1595392694530.png
1595392464741.png

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
How dirty does a VF LS3 engine bay get???
Mine gets dusty, and accumulates a few leaves, but an air hose fixes that.
And it does get used, clocked up 54k today.

MasterC

MasterC~VsCalais
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VF2
Really, it's just dust and some crap. Nothing crazy. Just curious on how ppl clean it. I normally just do a quick wipe down and dressing and I'm done. It's nice to give it a light hose but really it's not that dirty. Hope it stays that way. My mates sv6 is filthy and full of dirt and mud. nFI where he has been

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Really, it's just dust and some crap. Nothing crazy. Just curious on how ppl clean it. I normally just do a quick wipe down and dressing and I'm done. It's nice to give it a light hose but really it's not that dirty. Hope it stays that way. My mates sv6 is filthy and full of dirt and mud. nFI where he has been

Agreed. My Holden is the weekender. Engine bay gets an occasional light hose and wipe down when needed. 303 Aerospace Protectant used to shiny up the black plastics.

The little daily Honda doesn't get as much TLC and is used by three drivers in the family. It's engine bay was a dusty pig stye after 6 months use so I snow foamed it just the other day. Sparkling clean again now.

Modern engines have plastic covers on pretty much everything these days. Water ingress is not an issue any more.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Water ingress is not an issue any more.

Be that as it may, it's not a risk I'll ever be taking personally. If you wipe it over with a damp rag regularly, there's no need to stick a hose in there IMO.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Modern engines have plastic covers on pretty much everything these days. Water ingress is not an issue any more.

it is when you use a high pressure sprayer as the plugs on all of the sensors and other electrical components are not designed for high pressure.

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
it is when you use a high pressure sprayer as the plugs on all of the sensors and other electrical components are not designed for high pressure.
Agree, gotta stay clear of exposed electricals. Bloody big black plastic engine cover kinda helps protect those spark plugs. :)