Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engine bay extremely hot after installing extractors

theghostoftime1978

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 vt berlina series 1 V6
Hi guys, i have just installed my new lukey extractors and put a 2.5 redback catback on my vt v6. All good with the car except now my engine bay is extremely hot after a drive to the put i can't even touch anything with out burning my hand. Down the side of the extractors is really hot, can feel the heat coming off them. Is there anything i can do to fix this?

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
63628685.jpg

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Ceramic heat coating.

You sure they are sealed to the heads properly? I wouldn't expect a huge difference between headers and cast manifolds, headers obviously have a fair bit more surface area so more potential for radiated heat.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
This has been covered several times before...its an engine, it gets hot...

Exhausts get extremely hot. Cant remember exactly but i think around 350C+ for a petrol is close after a good thrash.

U can wrap the headers/extractors with exhaust wrap if u want....the pros and cons of that has been covered recently also.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Perhaps your changes have leaned out the air/fuel mixture in the engine. This creates excess heat.

D

devilly

just get some heat wrap,get the good titanium wrap. look up utube under motorbike exhaust wrap as they have the exhaust under there legs and it's more scary for them.

mines heaps cool now and hasn't changed colour or anything :) had to remove it clean it ,rust prove it and paint it and then wrap it :)

took me a week or so

Attachments

• wrap whole piece.JPG
    wrap whole piece.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 423
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 488

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Perhaps your changes have leaned out the air/fuel mixture in the engine. This creates excess heat.

I doubt that simply fitting extractors and an exhaust to a v6 would throw the af ratios that far out, that it would create a discernible difference in engine bay/exhaust temp. I would also think for the engine to run lean it would need to have a major difference made to the intake side of things (too much air)...not the exhaust

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
When you upgrade the exhaust teh vacuum is increased every time the intake valve opens while the exhaust valve is still open but almost closed, this effect drags more air into the chamber. the computer can adjust to a small degree to compensate and the remainder of lean off is a bees dick anyhow and should improve the economy by a tiny amount.

Also be mindful that if you purchased the headers new the coating on the inside to prevent surface rust inside the pipes while on the shelf has killed the 02 sensor (s) and will it (they) will need replacing.

KustomKulture62

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Specialized Hardrock Sports Disc 29er
just get some heat wrap,get the good titanium wrap. look up utube under motorbike exhaust wrap as they have the exhaust under there legs and it's more scary for them.

mines heaps cool now and hasn't changed colour or anything :) had to remove it clean it ,rust prove it and paint it and then wrap it :)

took me a week or so

Nice wrap job done there and how's it holding up after 3 years.
Wondering what did you use to treat and paint the extractors with before fitting the wrap, thinking maybe a ceramic based paint wouldn't hurt hey.
Did you also warp the catalytic converter and pipes leading from the extractors.

D

devilly

smaller sized pic 2.JPG
Yeah fine after 3 years :) I used kill rust and painted with kill rust, that wrap is killer good as it don't make you itch like the cheap fibre glass stuff :) judge for yourself 3 years later here's a pic cars off the road now so they will be sold off to someone else. Yeah if I was going to do it again I would go ceramic and wrap :) You can see they faded a bit compared to the brand new spark plug wraps other then that perfect :)