Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine bay idler pulleys

commodoredave

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
VT V6 II sedan no trbo or SC.
In engine bay, front of Engine there are 8 pulleys ( incl air cond) run with a serpentine belt
i.e Tensioner/idler
Power steering
water pump
alternator
crank
aircond
Are the other 2 pulleys BOTH just idlers? They have a squeak on start-up but it goes away as engine heats up.
They turn freely enough and no obvious play. Do they need to be changed?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If the pulleys spin freely than I doubt they are causing the squeal noises on startup. Noise like that is normally a sign of belt slip and idler pulleys don't give any resistance so no reason to slip and cause noise. Worn out pulleys (bearings) tend to rumble more than squeal unless the bearing is so bad it's not spinning freely.

Your noise is probably caused by an old/worn belt or not enough tension which can be caused by incorrect belt length or a stuck tensioner.

Seeing as you have also asked about the tensioner in another thread that suggest the belt is probably worn/stretched so that is where I would start.

commodoredave

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
If the pulleys spin freely than I doubt they are causing the squeal noises on startup. Noise like that is normally a sign of belt slip and idler pulleys don't give any resistance so no reason to slip and cause noise. Worn out pulleys (bearings) tend to rumble more than squeal unless the bearing is so bad it's not spinning freely.

Your noise is probably caused by an old/worn belt or not enough tension which can be caused by incorrect belt length or a stuck tensioner.

Seeing as you have also asked about the tensioner in another thread that suggest the belt is probably worn/stretched so that is where I would start.
Belt is new.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Is it the correct length?

Thedr313

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 SSV SPORTSWAGON
Is it the correct length?
Have you degreased engine bay? Sometimes degreaser dries up things. Any belt noise I have had I put dry lube on and sorted. DO NOT USE WD40.

Also any bearing play in any pulleys can make the belt not track. Check for belt wear on sides of belt. May be a tensioner?

Just sharing my belt squealing issues.

Dry lube has fixed all mine