Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engine bay problem

vr_owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 3.8lt executive
hey guys i have a 94 vr ex auto and where my battery sits underneath its pretty rusted what can i do to fix this, cause it looks kinda dogdy and i dont want my batter falling out while im driving:p

WILD VR CLUBBY

lack of licence
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy s
to ways fibreglass over it or chop it out and weld in a new one mine was the same i made a whole new one out of fibreglass

Last edited:

vr_owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 3.8lt executive
im thinking of doing it fibreglass but is it legal? and would i have to sand back the rust and that first just to make sure?

WILD VR CLUBBY

lack of licence
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy s
i dont think it is. fibreglass can be just as strong as metel with 50% the weight so its a win win
it would be better to use fibreglass sheets not the filler/bog and yes sand it back

vr_owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 3.8lt executive
ill look for some fibreglass tomorow, hopefully i can get some and get this craptastic problem outa the way :)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Good idea, mine was pointed to during last inspection and the guy said he'd fail it if it wasn't fixed by the next inspection:thumbsup:

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
How big is the hole? Couldnt you just use a piece of metal to cover it?

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Just grind the crap back to bare metal cut out a piece of scrap car or any bit of sheet metal, pop rivet the piece in and repaint the area, should be mostly common sense.

It's not a structural part of the car so glue the patch on with araldite, fiberglass it, whatever, it matters little.

Fiberglass would be great for all doors, guards etc it don't dint, I'm sick of car park dints from those who don't care.

Just remove everything in the area and hose liberally with water to remove all the remaining acid before doing anything.

note; most rusted under battery areas are due to a faulty regulator allowing the alternator to boil the battery spilling acid, check the charging system also.

WILD VR CLUBBY

lack of licence
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy s
ive got a whole glas front lol i need the doors but i cant figure out how im goin to do them