Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine belt squeal on WOT gear change - LS1

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
Hi Guys, my car does this from time to time but its finally getting to me. Its a 2005 VZ Calais auto v8 ls1

Only under certian conditions this happens which are the PWR button is on and ive got my foot to the floor between first and second gear (WOT)

when it changes gear the change is fine, no bangs clunks or anything else but the belt will squeal, i've replaced the belt and tensioner which made it slightly better but did not fix the issue, the accessories belt is a 1970.. there is much miss-information on the correct belt, from what ive found 1995 is the correct belt?

Anyway anyone had/fixed this?

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Slipping band inside the transmission maybe, thats what mine is, thought it was the drive belt but turned out not to be.

My work car does that when i got it floored and it shifts into 2nd.

XioiX1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 V8 Adventra
I have the same problem, I wonder if the water pump is failing and dripping onto belt?

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
Slipping band inside the transmission maybe, thats what mine is, thought it was the drive belt but turned out not to be.

My work car does that when i got it floored and it shifts into 2nd.

I doubt it, if the band was slipping i'd see burn trans oil and it would let go pretty quick/get worse and i would feel the effect, the gear changes are fast and feel tight, it hasn't been getting worse and the trans oil is fine over the last year and actually got better when i changed the tensioner

I have the same problem, I wonder if the water pump is failing and dripping onto belt?

I've read that, i cant see any visual leaks and the belt isnt clean, if it were leaking water onto the belt i'd expect the belt to be clean atleast

I changed the belt and tensioner at the same time, its entirely possible my old tension was broken and this is the wrong belt for the car. does anyone know what length the 2005 LS1 is supposed to have?

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I would suggest that the belt is to long. Does the tensioner have a belt stretch indicator (like the V6 models)? If you have a new belt the indicator should give an indication if the length is correct.

I just degreased the engine and now my belts are squealing as well :(

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
How long since you last had the transmission serviced ?

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Ls1's do have a indicator on the tensioner pulley housing left hand side of the motor.

Last edited:

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
Ls1's do have a indicator on the tensioner pulley housing left hand side of the motor. As for the p/s shudder is the fluid up to the correct levels?.

TBH haven't checked, its only very occassionally, ill take a photo of the tensioner, but yeah the belt could be the wrong one as they may have changed?

Trans was serviced about 30,000km ago (before i got the car) but ill be doing it in about a week again anyway with a full service. trans fluid looks clean

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
Figured i better update this rather than leave it a mystery.

I finally got sick of this issue and decided to fix it, the tensioner was at perfect tension as it was less than a year old and the belt was new, i removed the a/c belt and the noise still happened so it had to be the main belt.

most of the pulleys appear to be a bit polished from the belt which was allowing them to slip i roughened them up with sand paper which helped with the slipage, used belt grip and the issue has completely gone for now, not sure if it will come back.