Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Buggered.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
Hey everyone i am just wondering if anyone know a place in SA where i can get a new engine for my car the VT Commodore SII, its got a 3.8 L Ecotec V6 engine (which currently has end bearing noise) ** Can be Secondhand Reconditioned Does not have to be new

If anyone knows how to fix end bearing noise without replacing crankshaft can you let me know lol.

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I dunno about replacing the bearing, but City Dismantlers have a heap of second hand/recon'd Ecotecs. :)

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
you have to remove the engine to fix that removve box, put on stand, flip it over and upside down and go from there. just ask for a running short block and put on all your assesories. and if habibies run the wrecks steer clear

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
all ill say is DONT get a motor thats been opened by city dismantlers...

dodgey doesnt even come close...

and have a look on ebay if you dont want to play around with bearings mate..

normalys pick them up with 100-150thousand ks for a couple hundred

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah Holden are comming to the party, holden have said if i can prove its a manufacturing Fault, the holden will pay 5,500 for a new engine from ACDELCO.

So its now just taking it to my local holden dealer. getting a diagnostics done by holden service techs and then either pay for them pulling it apart and saying no it not they manufacturing defect. or yes you have a manufacturing defect yay you get a new engine or if head office want your car you get a new one lol.........

kjparker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 Acclaim
I can bet I know what the dealership is going to say....

Here's your bill for the ripping the engine out. That will be 5k for a new engine please.

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
parents vs spun the bearing at 160 thou, holden said it was at their fault but since its not under warrenty go tug in the bushes

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
parents vs spun the bearing at 160 thou, holden said it was at their fault but since its not under warrenty go tug in the bushes

Yeah the service manager at my local dealer said virtually that it was gonna cost me $3678 in labour costs to rip apart the block and find out whats wrong, i said ah its not going to cost me its going to cost you. but to cut a long story short i sould be getting a phone call sometime tomorrow from a state business manager who will talk to me about my options.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I'm missing something here. How can you be under consideration for an engine repair at the manufacturer's expense for a car that's the better part of ten years old?

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm missing something here. How can you be under consideration for an engine repair at the manufacturer's expense for a car that's the better part of ten years old?

its only got 113,000 kilometers on the clock, it has had a service at every damn interval. its a well maintained engine, every noise i have had i have seeked out and had a mechanic fix.
i have friends with commodore VT's that have lasted to 500,000 kilometers.

every mechanic i have spoken to and believe me that alot have said that this doesn't happen so early in the kilometers. even the people at holden customer assistance said that too , it shouldn't happen this early in the engines kilometer life span.

but i havent given up chasing holden for a solution to my problem i am just having my new mechanic drop a second hand engine into it for 1,100. as its not worth the 3 and a half thousand to rip apart the block.