Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine build date by number?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks mate that double confirms it then as I PM'd a bloke on here who is an expert on the Buick engines and he gave me the start and last build engine numbers. With what you have said my number sits in between your numbers and also the ones the other member told me. So looks like it's a VR engine, phewww.
I read a post the other week about engine number being on the dipstick but if that is the case it must have been VS on because the number on the dip stick comes up as a part number for the Buick dip stick, lol.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not sure if anyone needs help in seeing the engine number but because it is hard to read, I rubbed mine in chalk and then wiped the excess away, made it really easy to see the whole number.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Another question instead of starting a new thread is there any free way I can do a stolen engine check online. I just used the last of my CC funds on a purchase.
I'd like to update the engine number with Dept of State Growth but if the engine is from a stolen bus I don't want to lose my vehicle.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just tried to do a check and the Gov site that you pay $2, doesn't give you the option to run an engine number, only VIN.

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
i imagine you would need to get a new RWC and go to transport dept to have it changed over.
Something to confirm the new numbers like RWC, whom ever did the last one when you purchased it didn't check it and just went of the papers. Common but bad mistake to make.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Only time they do RWC here is when the car is from another state or out of rego for over three months. I'm hoping the engine was from a wrecker, or the like.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What's hilarious is the engine number recorded on my papers is not even an actual GMH engine number. For one it is missing a number on my rego papers, far out... plus even if I was to add a number to the front it still doesn't even come close to being a GM number, go figure?? The only bit that is correct is it has a VH at the beginning.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just had a look and who ever did an interstate transfer has used the last six digits of the VIN plus added a VH and called it the engine number. How the **** does that even get passed by the inspection station??

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I'm starting to think that your engine is the original from the ute but the dealership has stuffed up in a typo when passing the info on for it's first registration. they did that with my Hilux and it caused me a bit of grief and luckily the person on the counter at Motor Reg was rather helpful incognito so to speak.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Just had a look and who ever did an interstate transfer has used the last six digits of the VIN plus added a VH and called it the engine number. How the **** does that even get passed by the inspection station??

There's a slack idiot born everyday Losh.