Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine build date by number?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
View attachment 205486

Is the above info reliable. I'm guessing this would make it a VR engine.
Just for the record didn't the US bring out a S/C in the Buick and called it the L67?

I know it's a bit late but anything from that user is reliable. I miss our old mate (happy travels my friend).

Interestingly, the first Buick 3800 V6 Supercharged motor was also known as an L67 but was based on the older L27 long block and used a M62 supercharger. It was never an option here but I have seen the a couple imported and fitted.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ignorance is no excuse for the law.

No you have missed my point. I don't think any insurance Co will make me pull the motor since I suspect it would just be a hassle for them to get anything for it. If it is stolen and it was stolen from a Vehicle in Vic, I can not see anyone wanting to spend more than the cost of the engine to come over a pick it up. $200 each way on the ferry is winter price.
If the bloke wanted to recover it in spring or autumn they would be looking at over $300 each way, if it was peak they would be looking at $500 each way.

Considering I would not be home when they dropped in to recover the engine, I will have time to strip the parts I have fitted as I live between two address' and my registered address is the home I own.

I would find out when I go to change the number it is stolen and have ample time to tell who ever wants it they can send the tow truck on a 300km round trip to come and collect the engine.
See what I mean I think the hassle and cost to recover a $300 engine, it would be put in the too hard basket. Yes the law is the law but if I am not the rightful owner of the donk in my bus is someone really gonna come collect it? I reckon I could work it out with the insurer .

I think it would be a different story if the car was stolen and my insurance Co told me if I get told by the police they have found it, call them and they will send the tow truck to pick it up as is still the case with my VL I believe, which was stolen from your neck of the woods, just south In Christies Downs.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The ute had a pretty hard knock in the front at some point, hence why I think they might have damaged the engine in the accident. Although hard to know for sure because the rad is a bit bent, the lower rad panel has some minor damage, the front thermo is damaged on the mounts but was repaired. The condenser was bent as was the liquid line. Most of this I had fixed when the A/C was repaired. So hard to know what if any damage was done to the engine and trans but the trans is apparently not original and the steering column had collapsed at some point as I had to replace it.
So either it has been in two accidents or one that was not that bad, hard to know.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The ute had a pretty hard knock in the front at some point, hence why I think they might have damaged the engine in the accident. Although hard to know for sure because the rad is a bit bent, the lower rad panel has some minor damage, the front thermo is damaged on the mounts but was repaired. The condenser was bent as was the liquid line. Most of this I had fixed when the A/C was repaired. So hard to know what if any damage was done to the engine and trans but the trans is apparently not original and the steering column had collapsed at some point as I had to replace it.
So either it has been in two accidents or one that was not that bad, hard to know.
imo if the engine was damaged the whole car would be scrapped. Gotta do some SERIOUS damage to the front of the car before the engine is even close to being damaged

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ok so it must just have been a roo strike or similar and not a hard hit, because to reuse parts like has been done it wasn't a rear end or T-bone, the parts are not damaged enough.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Makes me wonder why the steering column was collapsed though. I think it would take a reasonable amount of force on the wheel to break the scrivets, or what ever they are called.

AFAIK it has never been a repairable write-off. I searched and found out this. Plus NRMA have it insured for $4k agreed and if it ever was a repairable write off I doubt they would have agreed to a $4k value.

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Collapsible columns usually collapse when a monkey starts beating the shaft with a hammer to remove the steering wheel. Doesnt take that much force to collapse them - even low impact accidents can do it

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ahhh ok. The rubber bearing was shot as well. The cage was hanging out. I had to cut open another VR column and use the bearing as i had a column shift and they are scarce in North Tas.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Losh, as a suggestion, contact Holden with the VIN and ask them for the engine number, (or give them both the VIN and engine numbers and ask if they match). There is a (good) chance that the engine is original but the paperwork is incorrect.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Pretty sure that Holden don't have that info for VR readily on hand without manually going into their archives in Port Melbourne.
They lost all that information some time back when they changed software in their computer system and had to go through the whole system manuallyand only put basic info back on to the new system.