Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine build date by number?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I called Holden and they gave me an engine number that was different to the one on my rego papers, which like mentioned is not an engine number at all, plus the engine number they gave me didn't match my engine.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Oh OK, I remember now (another Senior's moment) that you did contact them and they gave you a different number to what you actually have.

As suggested previously I'm surprised that they even had it available to give to you straight off the bat.

I guess as you aren't restoring a concourse vehicle for car shows you don't really have to concern yourself too much over it all as it hasn't been changed to a higher powered unit such as a V8 etc. and still is of the original format as installed at the factory when the vehicle was built.

Oh and BTW I wasn't trying to have a crack with the comment about the Law, merely a light hearted gag. But regarding you point about Financial sense, sometimes Insurance Companies do stupid things though just to be hard to get along with and money not being the issue.

At this stage it's a matter of not poking the bear I guess.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah nup no bear poking gonna happen, it could just open a can of worms. I will ask the mech I know next time I see him and just get some advice. But I suspect his answer will be, say nothing unless asked. Bit like if the police question you, I guess, don't offer any info they don't ask for, lol. In all honesty I dare say the engine is either original or from a wrecker but like mentioned above, at this stage just leave sleeping dogs alone....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Re VIN's I had an issue a few months back when transferring my trailer over from SA to Tas. It was an old 1980 Treg galv job. I acquired it for free sight unseen as it was a give away that had a rusted out chassis. I needed to get it home so I went to Service SA to register it with the plate number and no papers. I was on the phone with my uncle who gave me a number off the tailgate. I didn't know but figured out 10 years later when calling Treg for a VIN that it was their old phone number, when we only had six digit numbers. Service SA staff went to his boss with me in there and put the number down as the VIN, all those years ago as I didn't have any VIN I could give them and used what I thought must have been the VIN. Poor uncle Kev he probably had no idea and neither did I at the time.
10+ years on and I try to register it in Tas and get asked has this trailer ever been stolen? I was like I have had it over 10 years. As it turns out there are over 30 trailers in the country sharing the same six digit VIN and a number of them have been stolen... So yes @vs-lover dodgy things seem to go on in Gov depts, when it all becomes too hard, because the rules changed in the mid 80s, where prior VIN's weren't needed on single axle trailers and mine probably never had a VIN.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
No Vin number on my old trailer I have had for over 15 years. On the papers it says it came from Bob's Place Darlington and just blank where the VIN is. Only other info is gold colour and single axle.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
and mine probably never had a VIN.

Spot on ! Early Tregoning Trailers never had any VIN's. I also had one of those for a while. Probably one of the best trailers ever made by the Tregoning family business in Torrensville.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mine was previously used as a boat trailer, which no doubt rusted the chassis out. I figured that out when I was cutting away the old chassis and found a small crab in one of the tubes and lots of sand. I had a new chassis welded in by Aldinga Steel supplies, when I live in Willunga and it has been brill since. I still use it as my work trailer for customer jobs. Probably still have it in another 20 years time.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Funny about that as the one I had was also used as a part time boat trailer and was starting to really fall victim to the rusties and thus I got rid of it as it was going to be all down hill from there onwards.

6x4's still command good money rusty or not.