Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine choices for the VN

Discussion in 'VN - VP Holden Commodore (1988 - 1993)' started by KnobMuffin, Apr 12, 2009.

1. KnobMuffin

KnobMuffin New Member

Members Ride:
    VN Berlina 2L
    Hail to ye all

I have a 2ltr straight 4 VN with a engine from a Vectra. Its a NZ only model. I need a new engine and have been researching choices. I know that a RB30 from a VL will bolt straight in, now what about the old Australian made straight 6 from the model before the VL?? I can probably get my hands on a free black motor, will these bolt straight in? Has anyone done a conversion like this before? The main reason I think its a good idea to put it in my car is because I wont have to change my front springs because that motor looks really light and its free.

2. Leebo

Leebo New Member

Members Ride:
    89 VN
    Get a 5L EFI or carby that will be a sleeper if you keep any 4cyldr sticker it may have on it.

3. Pub247

Pub247 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Ford Fairmont
    lol the holden 6 is far from light they weigh a bit rb30 would be lighter. but yes if you wanted too you could put one in there though rb30 would outperform the holden 6 all round all you'd need is the k fame or engine cradle to suit each motor

4. KnobMuffin

KnobMuffin New Member

Members Ride:
    VN Berlina 2L
    Ah ok, by looking at the engine you could swear the Holden 6 is lighter, it looks a **** load smaller and thinner. I will have to change my front springs if I drop an RB in there because the 4cyl is light. My car only weighs 1340kg.

Will this have a K frame and everything I need to do the job?

Vehicle Details

5. Pub247

Pub247 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Ford Fairmont
    Yeah that would have everything needed. Holden 6cyl only weigh more as it mainly cast iron whereas rb30 has an alloy head. the difference is probably minimal but rb30 will make the car better to drive

6. KnobMuffin

KnobMuffin New Member

Members Ride:
    VN Berlina 2L
    I hope I get lucky and get that wagon at a good price! The 4cyl is oozing out oil onto the exhaust manifold and the car stinks! I have abused too much :(

7. VT-565

VT-565 New Member

Members Ride:
    VT
    drop an SR in if you want to stay 4 cyl or put a 2JZ in for a 6 if you want to be different.

I'd put a V8 in it, but it's your baby.

8. crazybiker

crazybiker Member

Members Ride:
    VR Commodore V6
    I was seriously considering that for kicks and giggles in mine.

Throw in an SR20 motor and turbo it to hell and back :p

9. KnobMuffin

KnobMuffin New Member

Members Ride:
    VN Berlina 2L
    Yeah mate I agree, but I am a nOOb on a budget :p This is the cheapest and easiest way to increase power/enjoyment of my VN.

10. greenfoam

greenfoam New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Executive R-spec
    Putting the v6 in it would be the cheapest and easiest (and much faster than a NA RB30)

11. KnobMuffin

KnobMuffin New Member

Members Ride:
    VN Berlina 2L
    True. I have looked far and wide for a manual V6 thats lowish K's and cheap but no luck. I can not go back to autos

12. Leebo

Leebo New Member

Members Ride:
    89 VN
    The buick 3800 is not a great motor if it's stock but id has lots of potetial too i suppose, cams exhaust, rockers etc just like any motor.

This would most likely be the most straight fit motor.
    Cheap too

13. VT-565

VT-565 New Member

Members Ride:
    VT
    An old friend once told me "Beggars can't be choosers"...

14. pjdm1980

pjdm1980 Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!

Members Ride:
    E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
    In all, i think you'd be better of ditching your old car and just buying a VN V6 as it sound like she's had a hard life already.
    BUT WHERE'S THE FUN IN THAT!!!!

15. Aliens

Aliens New Member

Members Ride:
    VN 1988
    The autos in the older Commodores weren't nice, but the VN autos were totally different. They are very nice to drive and just sing with the engine, and perform just as great.

Really, a VN Auto is probably as nice as a VN Manual for you.

The VN V6 engines had more power than the carburetted Commodore V8 engines. I think that says enough about the performance. Plus, a VN Executive V6 only weighs 1,3XX kilograms - about the same as your 4 cylinder.

Make sure you are aware of the different types of VN V6 configurations - many parts (such as different wiring looms, cooling system components, and computer & engine parts) are different.

Mid-88 to Sep-89 = Phase 1 of Series 1. Noisier, but higher sporty like performance due to the original cam-shaft profile which has more lobe lift.

Oct-89 to Oct-90 = Phase 2 of Series 1. Quieter and smoother engine but still with good performance for normal driving. Has updated cam-shaft which has less lift, but ignition timing was increased for mid-RPM to compensate.

August-90 to Oct-90 = Defacto Series 1.5 name, basically the cooling system was different.

Transmission was updated but still the old style hydraullic.

November 90 - mid-1991 = Series 2. Smoothest and quietest of all VNs,

But the Phase 2 of Series 1 memcals are 100% compatible, so if you were to put one into a Series 2, the performance would be the same as a Phase 2 of Series 1 engine.

Then there would only be a different external engine appearance basically (e.g. easier to service engine due to thermostat being on front).

V6 parts are so easy and cheap to find compared to the V8 EFI, and the performance is great.

16. H1GHROLLR

H1GHROLLR CHEMICALLY SUPERCHARGED

Members Ride:
    VX CLUBSPORT R8 LS1
    lol this would be so awsome as a project 13b turbo or 20b i know its a bit far advance in this thread but has it been done before

17. VT-565

VT-565 New Member

Members Ride:
    VT
    have seen a 13B turbo in a VB - VK series commodore in a mag..
    if you went that way you would surely go auto to overcome the lack of low down torque....

18. crazybiker

crazybiker Member

Members Ride:
    VR Commodore V6
    Can't legally engineer a 13B Turbo anymore.

Not in NSW atleast

19. Fun_Bucket

Fun_Bucket New Member

Members Ride:
    Cruze II sri
    Why on earth would you put an SR 20 into a VN Commodore!!!!!I got really pissed off not long ago, i brought an issue of streetcommdores magazine, and splashed across the cover was "twin cam VL" now most people when they read twin cam VL, they assume the owner has performed a TC head conversion to the RB30/30ET. Nope, this tosser had slotted an RB20DET in there, what a clown. Fair enough the VL was manafactued using a JAP Sourced motor, VN onwards an American sourced motor ect ect.. but to take an Aussie car, and fit it with a japanese motor of even less capacity, i just couldn't get my head around it. Not only was it unmoral, and unethical, it's just plain un-Australian!!

20. KnobMuffin

KnobMuffin New Member

Members Ride:
    VN Berlina 2L

Cheers for that mate. That was a good read. I lost the bid for the VL, it was too much so I am going to look into a auto V6 or manual V6.

Would the engine + gearbox from holden berlina engine and 5 speed box, for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand fit into my VN? I am looking at all my options and wouldn't mind messing around with the old school straight six stuff. I am gonna check out a manual V6 thats coming to auction soon too.