Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine choices for the VN

KnobMuffin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 2L
Hail to ye all

I have a 2ltr straight 4 VN with a engine from a Vectra. Its a NZ only model. I need a new engine and have been researching choices. I know that a RB30 from a VL will bolt straight in, now what about the old Australian made straight 6 from the model before the VL?? I can probably get my hands on a free black motor, will these bolt straight in? Has anyone done a conversion like this before? The main reason I think its a good idea to put it in my car is because I wont have to change my front springs because that motor looks really light and its free.

Leebo

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN
Get a 5L EFI or carby that will be a sleeper if you keep any 4cyldr sticker it may have on it.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
lol the holden 6 is far from light they weigh a bit rb30 would be lighter. but yes if you wanted too you could put one in there though rb30 would outperform the holden 6 all round all you'd need is the k fame or engine cradle to suit each motor

KnobMuffin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 2L
Ah ok, by looking at the engine you could swear the Holden 6 is lighter, it looks a **** load smaller and thinner. I will have to change my front springs if I drop an RB in there because the 4cyl is light. My car only weighs 1340kg.

Will this have a K frame and everything I need to do the job?

Vehicle Details

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Yeah that would have everything needed. Holden 6cyl only weigh more as it mainly cast iron whereas rb30 has an alloy head. the difference is probably minimal but rb30 will make the car better to drive

KnobMuffin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 2L
I hope I get lucky and get that wagon at a good price! The 4cyl is oozing out oil onto the exhaust manifold and the car stinks! I have abused too much :(

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
drop an SR in if you want to stay 4 cyl or put a 2JZ in for a 6 if you want to be different.

I'd put a V8 in it, but it's your baby.

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
drop an SR in if you want to stay 4 cyl or put a 2JZ in for a 6 if you want to be different.

I was seriously considering that for kicks and giggles in mine.

Throw in an SR20 motor and turbo it to hell and back :p

KnobMuffin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 2L

Yeah mate I agree, but I am a nOOb on a budget :p This is the cheapest and easiest way to increase power/enjoyment of my VN.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Putting the v6 in it would be the cheapest and easiest (and much faster than a NA RB30)