Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Cover Paint

RacerVS

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS97 - VE2011
Hi Guys ,
What type of paint would you reccomend for an ecotec engine cover ?
cheers

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Many different paints will stand upto this kind of heat but I personally would recommend a two pack or an enamel with a hardener addative if you want a really good finish, but even the enamels in an aerosol can off the shelf will be more than suitable. Remember though, even the best paint will not last if the prep work is not upto scratch. This involves stripping all of the standard silver paint off as you will find it is not stuck on the best in places and then sanding the whole thing with something like 320grit to give the paint something to bite into. Spray it with a plastic primer, then your colour and then a clear top coat.

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
Any paint will be ok. i painted mine with holden quicksilver out of a pressure pack about a year ago. still perfect

deanos70

Reaction score
View attachment 61762i just done mine the other week
got a fine bit of wet n dry rubbed over and bits that were flacking and smoothed them down , got a soft scouring pad rubbed over the engine cover , cleaned it with wax and grease remover or turps will do , wipe all that stuff off and let it dry.

then i sprayed it with high gloss engine enamel, you dont have to use engine enamel but i had some laying around , going to put a bit of white on the lettering then spray a clear coat or 2 over it

Attachments

• engine cover.jpg
    engine cover.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 3,377
  • DSCF4269.jpg
    DSCF4269.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 2,166
Last edited:

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
I did mine with K&h plastic primer and $3 export paint

RacerVS

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS97 - VE2011
View attachment 61762i just done mine the other week
got a fine bit of wet n dry rubbed over and bits that were flacking and smoothed them down , got a soft scouring pad rubbed over the engine cover , cleaned it with wax and grease remover or turps will do , wipe all that stuff off and let it dry.

then i sprayed it with high gloss engine enamel, you dont have to use engine enamel but i had some laying around , going to put a bit of white on the lettering then spray a clear coat or 2 over it
That looks awesome mate !
Well done .

RacerVS

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS97 - VE2011
Any other pics of VS V6 engine bays would be much appreciated !
Thanks Guys :thumbsup:

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged

deanos70

Reaction score
That looks awesome mate !
Well done .

thanks racer , they arent hard to do , the enamel takes a while to dry hard but you can still drive around without your cover on no worries , if your a bit worried about stuffing yours up just grab a cheap one from ebay or a wreckers and give that a go , good luck with it and post a few pics up when you get it done