Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Cut Out & Check Oil - 2005 VZ S Ute

CRP197777

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden Ute S VZ
Gday gents. Had a camping trip out in the sticks over the weekend with about a 2 hour trip each way for my 2005 VZ S Ute. Did a quick check of oil level etc before I departed and all was fine. Probably about 180,000kms on the clock and would of been less than 5000km since last service.

Got about 10 minutes into the trip home and the "Check "Oil" warning came on. Was in the middle of nowhere with no phone reception so had no choice but to keep on going. The warning flashed on an off quite a few times so I stupidly began to think it was the sensor playing up (had issues with the O2 sensors previously).

Anyway, about 15-20 minutes from departing I revved up to about 110kms (might of hit around 4/5k rpm) to overtake a caravan, engine began severely rattling, check oil light comes on and then the engine just shuts down. Presume the ECM shut it down as power steering went and couldn't get any revs from the accelerator.

Under normal circumstances I would of got it towed to the nearest mechanic but being in the middle of nowhere with no phone reception I was up a creek without a paddle. Left the car turned off for ten minutes, tried to start it and had no luck. Tried again in another ten and after a little bit of time and a few revs of the accelerator it spluttered on. Anytime it went over 2000rpm the rattling came back so proceeded to keep under that level for the trip back and it ran "okay". Pretty much the whole trip was one country back road so maintained 100km at 2000rpm the whole way. The one or two times I did have to slow down to near stop and slowly accelerate again the engine did not sound great (knocking/rattling).

Getting it booked into the mechanic but any idea what i should be preparing for here?. Expecting the worst, especially considering I had to drive it after it broke down.

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
Have you checked if there is oil in the engine now?

Could be blocked oil pickup.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
5000kms since last service, buts What’s the overall service history like? Alloytecs of that era will easily sludge and lunch timing chains if negelcted.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Oil pickup. Easy and cheap to fix yourself. Don't be put off. Just drop the k-frame a good way at the back.

Comes good once oil flow is restored, even though the noises are disconcerting.

Last edited: