Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine cut out.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
i had the same starting problem,used tot ake ages to start when cold, replaced the fuel pump($100) and the car start good now. Also maybe ur injector need a clean???

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
The crank angel sensor, DFI module/connector, coil packs and ECU are all tied up together. Usually it is the crank angle sensor, as you may have noticed from all the posts lately, but it can be the others listed above, which can also give the same error codes. Thats not saying it is tied up with that. Could be the fuel pump. I would change the filter for a start. When you say its not starting properly, again you need to be really descriptive of exactly what its doing. Can you hear the fuel pump prime, does it struggle to turn over or to ignite. Could be your starter motor.

BadSeed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Berlina Wagon
Mine now been fixed, was a falty pin in the DFI Module.. cost of $227 for a new one. (fitted myself)

C

Cooldude1983

sircruisealotVS said:
have a battery and alternator test done (most places like autobarn, supercheap, etc. will do one for you...for free) to make sure the alternator isnt cactus.
check all connections from coil packs>leads>plugs and test will a multimeter.
if all those things are ok then id be worried about the starter motor, but they usually work or they dont...no in between.
also, try turning the key to accessories for a few seconds before you crank it over next time it wont start...let me know if that works.

Cheers Sircruisealot - now for the update. It seems that the car is still cutting out randomly, did it again today while driving to work. Same symptoms, i.e. accelerated, it spluttered, then engine cut - out. Pulled over (it's great having no power steering) and surprise - the car started first go. Drive to work (carefully) and made it.

When I took it to the holden dealer they tested all the leads etc, battery, alternator, with a multimeter all was fine. FYI - new plugs were installed at head change 3-4 weeks ago, alternator is less than 6 months old (new not reconditioned) and battery is literally days old, so I dunno.

Kopper - re the starting - can hear the fuel pump priming and starter motor turning. Engine then comes on, will splutter, and then goes off. Do this a number of times and it finally starts. Sometimes it will start after 1 go, sometimes after a lot more. Don't really notice a difference between warm vs cold starts. Hope this info helps.

So I guess it could be the fuel pump and/or filter or the DFI module lol. The mystery continues.....