Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine cut out.

C

Cooldude1983

Hi guys,

A got a problem. My VS commodore recently had a head replaced. Have had a few problems post - op. Firstly I noticed a rough idle when warm. Took back to the mechanic - he tested with Tech2 - no problems, reckoned it was sludge etc in the fuel system. He put some top end cleaner in and this fixed the problem. Second problem - bigger problem - car cuts out intermitently while doing anything greater than gentle acclerating. Sometimes it cuts out - other times it just has a flat spot. Oh, and finally, I have been having trouble starting it.

All these problems have begun since the head was replaced.

What do you think could be causing the second and third problem?

Flat/weak battery or something more sinister?

Cheers for your help.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
a little more info needed mate....what do you mean it "cuts out"? does the car stop (all electrics and engine turn off)? or does it, under acceleration, hesitate?
when you have trouble starting, is it when cold or warm? what does it do exactly?

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
As sircruisealotVS said, need more info. Check your error codes using the paperclip technique for a start. Bad battery will struggle to start the car, bad terminals will cause it the battery light to come on. Sounds like it could have something to do with fuel, maybe a clogged fuel filter. I would be installing a new one of them for a start, especially if you have had a bit of crap in the system.

C

Cooldude1983

sircruisealotVS said:
a little more info needed mate....what do you mean it "cuts out"? does the car stop (all electrics and engine turn off)? or does it, under acceleration, hesitate?
when you have trouble starting, is it when cold or warm? what does it do exactly?

Thanks Sircruisealot - by "cut out" I mean that the engine cut's out, but not the electrics - they stay on. Basically when I put my foot down to overtake another car and the engine cut out.

RE the starting, there is only trouble starting it when it's cold. No trouble when warm.

Hope this helps - let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Could be the crank angle sensor. If it cuts out it should be throwing out error codes. Do the check and see what it comes out with.

C

Cooldude1983

kopper69 said:
Could be the crank angle sensor. If it cuts out it should be throwing out error codes. Do the check and see what it comes out with.

Cheers Kopper I will do the tests tommorow and see what happens. Hopefully it is something simple.

Out of interest has anyone ever heard of flat battery causing the engine to cut out when you accelerate? N.B. The car is now taking 5-6 times to start when cold (OK when warm).

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
Cooldude1983 said:
Thanks Sircruisealot - by "cut out" I mean that the engine cut's out, but not the electrics - they stay on. Basically when I put my foot down to overtake another car and the engine cut out.

RE the starting, there is only trouble starting it when it's cold. No trouble when warm.

Hope this helps - let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers

ok, so its not the battery then. id be thinkin something along the lines of a dying fuel pump, which may also explain the starting trouble. but its hard to say as it could be a few things....do the error code test and see what that says.
also to answer your other question, i have heard of a car cutting out because of the battery, but its usually when you turn something on (ie, headlights) and everything will die...engine and electrics.

BadSeed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Berlina Wagon
Lately my VR Berlina has been cutting out randomly :(

Like I will be either under acceleration or even backing off and breaking and the engine cuts out (ie: electrics and lights still on but engine is off) it will fail to start... And I wiggle the wire.. (im guessing computer? its under the distributor) the plug thing and the car will start and run, sometimes cutting out couple mins after doing that, other times lasting couple days without any problems? Have to get it checked 2 morrow since planning long trip friday.. hope it not too expensive to fix :bang:

C

Cooldude1983

sircruisealotVS said:
ok, so its not the battery then. id be thinkin something along the lines of a dying fuel pump, which may also explain the starting trouble. but its hard to say as it could be a few things....do the error code test and see what that says.
also to answer your other question, i have heard of a car cutting out because of the battery, but its usually when you turn something on (ie, headlights) and everything will die...engine and electrics.

Sorry for delay guys have been really busy. Did the test (at a Holden Dealer) and it indicated error in the crank angle sensor. Apparently 2 fails in the last 19 starts. So got this replaced and fixed the random cut out problem. However, still having problems starting, replaced the battery, seemed to be better for a couple of days - but now it's back to not starting properly again! Any further suggestions?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
have a battery and alternator test done (most places like autobarn, supercheap, etc. will do one for you...for free) to make sure the alternator isnt cactus.
check all connections from coil packs>leads>plugs and test will a multimeter.
if all those things are ok then id be worried about the starter motor, but they usually work or they dont...no in between.
also, try turning the key to accessories for a few seconds before you crank it over next time it wont start...let me know if that works.