Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine cuts out with 1/4 tank of fuel

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Hey guys,

A few months ago I fitted a drop tank in my VS. Filling it up from completely empty, it took just over 80 litres.

Anyway, twice I have almost been left stranded because while cruising along, the engine has cut out and not starting up straight away.

The first time I was stuck for about 10 minutes before the engine fired up again, and today the same thing. I can hear the fuel pump going and there is still at least 15 litres of fuel in the tank, also the fuel light hasn't even had a chance to come on and still says 100kms to empty.

When I finally got it going and just made it to the nearest servo (it stalled again once I got there), I filled it up and worked out that there would have been in fact 15 litres still in the tank, but once I filled it up I had no more problems.

Any suggestions as to what this could be? I'm just getting over it now so I thought I would ask for help.

Thanks in advance

Added info, the first time this happened, I was going around a round-a-bout, turning right, the car stalled and I let it roll to the side of the road. It took 10 minutes before it fired up again.

Today I was going down a hill, around bends, it cut out, I kept it rolling until I found somewhere safe to pull over, I was trying to turn it over while it was rolling but it wouldn't fire up. I ended up opening the boot and bouncing the rear of the car a couple of times and it fired up, so I took off to find the nearest servo, just as I pulled up at the first one, it cut out. I didn't want to get fuel at that place because they had E10 only, and my VS has been tuned for BP Ultimate 98 only. It ended up starting by itself and as I was driving up a hill, it cut out, it got just over the hill and started rolling down again, it fired up again. Made it to a BP servo, they never had ultimate, so I filled up with 95 instead, seems to be running ok. But can't work out why it cuts out like this when I know there is plenty of fuel to get it to a servo.

Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
We'd need to know more about your configuration. Is it using the L67 traditional sender, swirl pot and return?

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
We'd need to know more about your configuration. Is it using the L67 traditional sender, swirl pot and return?

Yeah it's still all standard as far as the fuel system goes.

I have added extra info as well.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
My guess would be your swirl pot or the internal line to it from the return is buggered or has moved. Without those two integral pieces as they should be under 1/3 a tank and all bets are off, you're sucking air round corners and over bumps.

I reckon you'll need to crack the tank to inspect either way. Common issue on the VS I'm afraid.

This is a great thread to see how it all comes together, I'd assume your drop-tank has this configuration sitting in it with a modified (i.e. bent) sender pickup.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...9-fuel-tank-fuel-pump-assembly-swirl-pot.html

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
My guess would be your swirl pot or the internal line to it from the return is buggered or has moved. Without those two integral pieces as they should be under 1/3 a tank and all bets are off, you're sucking air round corners and over bumps.

I reckon you'll need to crack the tank to inspect either way. Common issue on the VS I'm afraid.

This is a great thread to see how it all comes together, I'd assume your drop-tank has this configuration sitting in it with a modified (i.e. bent) sender pickup.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...9-fuel-tank-fuel-pump-assembly-swirl-pot.html

Yeah now that you mention it, that hose inside the tank was broken off when I got it, but I was told that it wont affect anything because it's just a return line returning fuel into the tank. Looks like they were very wrong in saying it wont affect anything.

Cutting a fuel tank open like that would be pretty dangerous wouldn't it? I would definitely have to open it up and then weld it shut after it's fixed

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Yep, they probably knew what a PITA it is. Bad advice though, it's very necessary.

If you know a dexterous child with little arms, it can be done removing the sender only. Not easy though.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Yep, they probably knew what a PITA it is. Bad advice though, it's very necessary.

If you know a dexterous child with little arms, it can be done removing the sender only. Not easy though.

I knew I should have had that fixed before I fitted the tank in the car. No way I can get my hand in there to fix it. Maybe there might be somewhere I can take it that can fix it

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Yeah sounds like the swirl pot, both my mates commodores have the hose broken.. take a corner to fast and there it goes.. out bashing the fuel tank trying to get it going..

It might be easier getting a secondhand tank for it.
Might be a good time to invest in a 80l one if you don't already have one :spot on:

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Yeah sounds like the swirl pot, both my mates commodores have the hose broken.. take a corner to fast and there it goes.. out bashing the fuel tank trying to get it going..

It might be easier getting a secondhand tank for it.
Might be a good time to invest in a 80l one if you don't already have one :spot on:

Yeah that's what happened, I fitted the 80 litre tank and that hose was broken, never had this problem with my old tank.