Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine cuts out

VEdriver66

Reaction score
Members Ride
09/08, Holden, Commodore, VE MY09 Omega, Sedan
My VE has done about 140,000 ks. It has recently started just cutting out when idling or rolling along. Its done this twice in about 3-6 months. Today was the second time. I had lent the car to my sister-in-law, she is a good driver too.

About 6 months ago while parked at a shop I got back in the car, saddled up, put the key in and turned it but the battery was completely dead, no sound at all and I had to have a new battery brought to the car.

A car mechanic put the meter on it today and said some light was on but wasn't doing any harm so he turned it off (sorry cant remember what he said, too old these days.)

Dunno whether these two events are related ??????

All ideas gratefully accepted.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Unfortunately it's normal for the battery to die every 5 years or so, and that can happen very suddenly. That is probably a one off and not related to the new issue.
This issue of cutting out randomly can be lots of things. Does this car run well the rest of the time?
It would be worth checking the leads are tight on the battery terminals to start with.

VEdriver66

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes I agree the battery and the cut out are likely to be unrelated. Yes the car runs well otherwise although something that spins around in direct proportion to the engine revs makes a noise that it didn't make when I first got it. it makes an "airy" sort of noise. Apart from that the car runs like a charm but this is the second time its cut out in about 3-6 months. Thanks for your help.

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
You could have a vacuum leak, can you hear any hissing around the intake manifold?

VEdriver66

Reaction score
Members Ride
I haven't listened for it there, however, I did change out all the plugs about 6 months or so ago but I made a point of putting in a new gasket and tensioned up the holding down bolts to the correct torque using a tension wrench but I will look at that.

The mechanic that tested it also said that it could be the petrol something or other, regulator perhaps? would that be right? if so then what should i look at and for?

thanks again for your help

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Where can you hear this airy noise?
Check the plastic tube that goes from the top of both rocker covers to the back of the engine. It can crack or get broken when doing the spark plugs. Check the big air pipe at the front engine intake for cracks too.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Could be a the fuel pump, as that's about the average life of them @ 140K,
or it could be the immobiliser also kicking in,
or, I think I read somewhere is could even be the starter motor, or its terminals.
That also depends upon how many times the cars been started in its life can cause it not turning over,
The other thing I read, it could be the inhibit switch on the Transmission.
maybe a case of process of elimination.

With the person who scanned it and didn't follow it up, I would probably not go to them again,
as you said, they may not be related,
but, a recorded fault is a fault, that could cause any sort of issue in a vehicle.

VEdriver66

Reaction score
Members Ride
Where can you hear this airy noise?
Check the plastic tube that goes from the top of both rocker covers to the back of the engine. It can crack or get broken when doing the spark plugs. Check the big air pipe at the front engine intake for cracks too.

thanks for that. Is the 'big air pipe' the black plastic one? sometimes I think it might be the air con because it makes the airy noise when the air con is on. It definately sounds like a belt turning but which belt it could be i have no idea and it seem to be close to the dash but then it may simply be a loud noise dampened.
It tends not to do it at idle.

More importantly the cutting out is more important as I dont want to cause a traffic pile up or something worse.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yes the big black plastic air intake duct with ridges along it. Any of the plastic parts can eventually crack and leak air so it's worth having a look and feel every now and then. There's only one belt on the V6 so that should be easy to check.