Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Diagnostics - VX issue

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hi having an issue with a V6 series1 vx stalling at random times.
Ive replaced the DFI and coil pack, cleaned the harness plug..... Using engine diag software im still getting a Electronic Spark Timing Circuit (EST) error and a B27 B6 Unknown error...any idea what the unknown error is ???
Thanks in advance
Wozza

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Check the plug for the CAS, remove and make sure it's clean inside and have a good look at the wiring loom between the CAS and DFI module.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Hi having an issue with a V6 series1 vx stalling at random times.
Ive replaced the DFI and coil pack, cleaned the harness plug..... Using engine diag software im still getting a Electronic Spark Timing Circuit (EST) error and a B27 B6 Unknown error...any idea what the unknown error is ???
Thanks in advance
Wozza
Im assuming you mean B12B6?
The fault code 'B12B6' is not a standard Holden fault naming, it means Byte12 Bit 6 in the land of programmers. It simply lets me know what the software picked up. So don't bother googling it as its its a custom defined fault code defined in the software.
Think of it like the software indicating which light switch is turned "on", where every light switch is a fault code.

I simulated that specific fault through Holdens factory tool, and it does not register it as any known fault (As also confirmed with my original reverse engineering documentation).

Anyway, in saying the above, I think (Not confirmed!!!!) that the fault is: "Manual Transmission Vehicle Speed Sensor Failure".
Iv come to this conclusion from the comparison on various vehicles, ECUs and piecing together other documentation, but theres no way of validating that without actually having that fault in car.

Let me know how you get on!

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Immortality done most of that...this ones driving me nuts :) sometimes you riggle the plug/harness and it stalls, other times it drives for a few hrs then cuts out,then it will start right away, other times it wont start at all....ahhhhhg!!!!
Tazzi pretty sure the code in OP was right but Im a tad dyslexic so its possible...think the code is being set when the car is at speed and cuts out whilst still in gear(oh and its an auto)
Thanks to both of you for the help and input, it is greatly appreciated

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
A work mates are was cutting out randomly and the problem was traced to oil in the CAS plug.

Wriggling the harness and it stalling would suggest there is an intermittent fault in that area somewhere. It might pay to get a replacement bit for that part of the loom if you have the ability to unpin the dfi module plug.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
If it comes to that Ill prob send it off to an auto electrician....Im starting to wonder if the code 42 is a red herring..
Missus called the RAA out and thats what he said it was..he cleaned it and the car started but it seamed to get worse from that point...if his removing/cleaning had disturbed the plug/dfi connection then maybe the whole dfi change/plug wiggling/ car dying thing was a separate issue..
Anyway this morning I pulled the plug and used a tiny file and contact cleaner on the white and black/tan pins missus said it got her to work today no issues, but it did that on fri and died on the way home....Meh might pop down and grab a CAS, as its the only other thing I can think off that acts like this

Last edited:

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
One night My VS stalled at 60klms/HR put it in neutral started and got no code.
A guy from another forum had a Tec drove his car to and from work with Tect2 connected on the last day it stalled and got a code cas.
So it didn`t store a code.
After reading his story I just changed the CAS and been right every since.
May not be the same as your problem but.
Good Luck Mate

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I bought a genuine CAS to have as a spare over a decade ago and I've not had to ever replace a CAS on a V6 commodore since it's been on the shelf in my garage :)

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
hehe Thanks Guys, I went out and got a CAS today.... and guess what? the car went without a hitch all day....
Im still not convinced its fixed...but will abide by Murphy's law If you have the part you wont need it ;)

Davo_vx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive s2
Bit of thread dig here but did you every figure out what this b27 b6 code is wozza I have the same code and the car playing up something shocking.