Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine earth leads??? Any comments welcome

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
Hi There
I am having a odd problem
My car sometimes cuts out and the computer is reseting itself
Meaning when car cuts out i need to reenter the pin for the radio
I have clean all earths that i can find in the engine bay...
Changed alternator,fitted extra heavy gauge wire from alternator to battery,cam and crank angle sensors ,New battery and new terminals
But where is the earth cable from body to engine???????
I am trying to track down this problem any one have any ideas?????????????
Thanks in advance

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
wen u say its resetting itself is it only the radio that does this or does all ur readings ect... from ur clusters LCD screens readings reset also eg. trip metre?

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
wen u say its resetting itself is it only the radio that does this or does all ur readings ect... from ur clusters LCD screens readings reset also eg. trip metre?

To be honest i'm not sure if the trip meter resets.. As i normaly only put it on distance to empty..I havn't realy taken much notice...
But saying that its like the battery cable has been taken off battery.....
Car cuts off air con button needs to be press again(as air con was on befor car cuts out) and radio code needs to be entered,

Also i have noticed it only cuts out when air con is on?????
As i always have air con on all the time
Do you know where this engine earth is i need to check it out..??
Can you think of anything els could cause this problem??

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
well check ur trip metre and see if that resetting to "0" coz that will if u diconnect ur battery and it'll tell u if it is the computer thats resetting or somthing else. I guess its just another way 2 comfirm thats wat its doin.

Id b mayb checking the plug at the airon unit and trace that back, sounds 2 me uve got a short in the A/C wiring somwhere. Do u have urself a gregories book on the VT? it'll show u the wiring diagrams 4 the A/C

Edit: just looked at my manual looks like it could b the BCM doing the fault? try do a diagnostic fault check see it it brings up any codes.

Last edited:

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
well check ur trip metre and see if that resetting to "0" coz that will if u diconnect ur battery and it'll tell u if it is the computer thats resetting or somthing else. I guess its just another way 2 comfirm thats wat its doin.

Id b mayb checking the plug at the airon unit and trace that back, sounds 2 me uve got a short in the A/C wiring somwhere. Do u have urself a gregories book on the VT? it'll show u the wiring diagrams 4 the A/C

Edit: just looked at my manual looks like it could b the BCM doing the fault? try do a diagnostic fault check see it it brings up any codes.

Thanks for the reply
I was talking to the guy who reco the abs module////He has convinced me that the engine cutting out has nothing to do with abs module
Last time this happened no error codes were found...
As i took it to auto elc and he said he needs to see it happen to find the problem
I will do the paper clip test see how it goes..Also i will look into the air con wires

Also may i add sometimes when car cuts out...It sometimes the abs and trac light comes one..But thats when it has a bad miss
Also sometimes when driveing car would have a big miss like its about to cut out and all the lights flash up on the dash....Its like you quickly turn the key off than on....
When driving sometimes the abs and trac would come on
The guy who recos the abs module says the abs and trac lights comeing on is a problem with the abs module...But not the problem with the car cutting out...
But whats your views on this??????????????????????
I think i read up somewhere on here......People were having this similar problem and its just a simple abs module???

Last edited:

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the reply
I was talking to the guy who reco the abs module////He has convinced me that the engine cutting out has nothing to do with abs module
Last time this happened no error codes were found...
As i took it to auto elc and he said he needs to see it happen to find the problem
I will do the paper clip test see how it goes..Also i will look into the air con wires

Also may i add sometimes when car cuts out...It sometimes the abs and trac light comes one..But thats when it has a bad miss
Also sometimes when driveing car would have a big miss like its about to cut out and all the lights flash up on the dash....Its like you quickly turn the key off than on....
When driving sometimes the abs and trac would come on
The guy who recos the abs module says the abs and trac lights comeing on is a problem with the abs module...But not the problem with the car cutting out...
But whats your views on this??????????????????????
I think i read up somewhere on here......People were having this similar problem and its just a simple abs module???

From wat uve just said there sounds similar 2 wat my car was doin and cutting out a while back tho i had no issue with the aircon like u have so thats a bit strange but mine would show the same warning lights wen it did cut out, even the brief moment as u described it was happening while driving. There was a thread hangin around at the time i posted in with pics of the looms and my problem.

Turned out theres 3 main wiring looms under the bonnet of ur car, far corner up top on the drivers side. 2 were black and 1 was grey i think, neways those run 2 the ECU inside the cabin but somehow over time water got in and under the taped up wires on the back of these looms and started corroding 1 of the wires. hense causing the cuttin out (which was happening over the cars 10 Year period wen the pervious owner had it aswell) and eventually it corroded out and i was no longer able 2 start the car. Replaced it and have never had a problem since.

i went and replaced everything that u had already only 2 find out they werent the cause.

From memory, but dont quote me, the key warning light 2 know if its the ABS module i think? has somthing 2 do with the oil light comming on along with the others aswell (Which i didnt get at the time mine was cuttin out).

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
From wat uve just said there sounds similar 2 wat my car was doin and cutting out a while back tho i had no issue with the aircon like u have so thats a bit strange but mine would show the same warning lights wen it did cut out, even the brief moment as u described it was happening while driving. There was a thread hangin around at the time i posted in with pics of the looms and my problem.

Turned out theres 3 main wiring looms under the bonnet of ur car, far corner up top on the drivers side. 2 were black and 1 was grey i think, neways those run 2 the ECU inside the cabin but somehow over time water got in and under the taped up wires on the back of these looms and started corroding 1 of the wires. hense causing the cuttin out (which was happening over the cars 10 Year period wen the pervious owner had it aswell) and eventually it corroded out and i was no longer able 2 start the car. Replaced it and have never had a problem since.

i went and replaced everything that u had already only 2 find out they werent the cause.

From memory, but dont quote me, the key warning light 2 know if its the ABS module i think? has somthing 2 do with the oil light comming on along with the others aswell (Which i didnt get at the time mine was cuttin out).

Thankyou thats very interesting...Yeh oil light is not coming on or engine light

Did you change the whole wiring loom??
Was the problem inside the engine bay
This is very much worth the look please more info on this wire???
When your car was cutting out did you need to reenter the radio code???
Thankyou

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
na didnt have 2 change the loom, the auto elec just cut back the corroded wire and joined on some new wire and that was it. If its was u got it just depends how many wires r corroded as 2 how many needs replacing.

I had an aftermarket unit installed straight after i bought the car actually pretty much only coz the radio did need the code and they didnt have it lol so come 2 think of it, its possible thats wat was happening also with the previous owner im not sure coz the after market unit doesnt require a pin code so i couldnt tell ya.

I'll try dig up the thread

Edit: its not the thread but its the pic i was refering 2, page 3, post 53
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-vu-wh-v2/47925-ants-wanna-b-v8-supercar-vt-6-a-3.html

Last edited:

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
na didnt have 2 change the loom, the auto elec just cut back the corroded wire and joined on some new wire and that was it. If its was u got it just depends how many wires r corroded as 2 how many needs replacing.

I had an aftermarket unit installed straight after i bought the car actually pretty much only coz the radio did need the code and they didnt have it lol so come 2 think of it, its possible thats wat was happening also with the previous owner im not sure coz the after market unit doesnt require a pin code so i couldnt tell ya.

I'll try dig up the thread

Edit: its not the thread but its the pic i was refering 2, page 3, post 53
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-vu-wh-v2/47925-ants-wanna-b-v8-supercar-vt-6-a-3.html

Thanks heaps for the info
I will take a close look at these wires

Thankyou