Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine exchange question?

zx7rtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5SPD WAGON
Just wanted to know if anyone can enlighten me about an exchange engine that was fitted to my wifes Kia Rio .What I wanted to know is if when another engine is fitted,does the amount of km's that the exchange has done alter the odometer reading?The car came back from the mechanics with around an extra 2000 kms on the odometer,so he either did a heap of km's in a week,or the amount of km's the motor has done has shown up on the odometer!

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
He must have drove it for the 2000kms,because why would an exchange engine have done more kms than the old engine,usually the exchange engine is a better engine isnt it? The odometer is there to show you how much the car has travelled,you can replace the engine 10 times but it will still show what the car has done not the motor.That happened to my car once the odometer was higher then when I left the car at the mechanics and I found out that they used my car for their daily parts deliveries and pick ups,when I questioned them about it they said they needed to test the motor to see if its running ok.

zx7rtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5SPD WAGON
Thats all I wanted to know,I thought the km's from the new motor might have loaded if from the computer or something like that.Im actually selling the car,and didn't know if I had to declare that the car had been fitted with a new motor,even though it was fitted about 5 months ago?

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
Have you let the motor registry know that you have a different motor,because you do have to get it passed by a mechanic and then get the engine number recorded on the rego