Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine failure on 2010 ve commodore

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Yeah but a lot mechanics these days have access to the same electronic programming tools that Holden do.

Hell, we used to sell them to mechanics, they come with access to all sorts of dealership type programming options. If the tune wasnt locked, they may have hooked it up and accidently reverted to factory.

It would also explain the spluttering and transmission behaviour, if it had a MAFLESS tune itll be throwing a fit and that lines up with the error codes and check engine light being on. The AFR might also be affected and its having a hard time recalibrating.

Id be taking it back to whoever did the work, asking what they did. Asking if they hooked it up to anything. Then if you get no joy from them, take it to whoever did the tune, ask them whats wrong and if the tune has been messed with take your reciept and written diagnosis to the original workshop and say pay up.

Dont know how it would affect the sound of a grunty V8 though. Its going to sound the same regardless.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Could they have re-installed the factory tune at the service?? I remember reading about Holden wiping tunes when doing services if the aftermarket tuners does lock them.

That's the first thing that came to my mind too..

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
way less dramatic than the thread title and all caps seems to make out.

my take, something broke, it happened at the same time as the service - co-incidence?

ie correlation =/= causation.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
The capital letters and drama queening almost made me not want to reply. Heading obviously created to draw attention. Not a bloody engine failure for starters.... most likely not even mechanical at all.
Sounds electrical. You're getting multiple failures (ABS, erratic speedo readings, incorrect gear changes), so my money is on the ECU... or the power to the ECU. Could be a plug not plugged in correctly or all the way in, or even as simple as a bad earth. Double check all power cables, starting at battery. Check terminals, check wires, check plugs going into engine bay (especially sensor plugs).

A couple of questions though?

EXACTLY (note appropriate use of capitals), what did you get them to do? "Filters and replaced oil etc" isnt enough info. Did they change spark plugs? What parts did they remove/change? What oil did they put in? Did they change timing belt, or adjust it?

The engine sound you are describing "sounds like a 4cyl" is a timing issue, but unless they changed something 'mechanical' its not a mechanical problem, its still electrical. The fact they've given you back the car like this doesnt instill a lot of confidence and I'd never give it to them again, but the fact you've done modifications to the engine management means you are up **** creek together with them. What brand of chip flash is it? Well known or some Chinese crap? If that's failed in any way the stock ECU wont know what the hell is gong on.

If no results in finding a cause, I recommend taking it to the place that did the chip flash and get them to pop in either a replacement unit or stock unit from another car to see if thats the issue.

But again, I'd put money on electrical. When the issues in-determinant and unpredictable, its nearly always electrics related.