Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine flush

Jazza.s

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ calais
I Gunna do an engine flush on my 2005 VZ calais as I suspect there is sludge in it or even a block pick up line. Been doing a bit of research online some say to use a Pacific engine flush application others say to use petrol. What is people's opinions? If I was to use petrol I'd obviously pull out the fuel pump fuse and not allow the car to start just tick over to get the petrol throught the engine. Which would be the best to really get the sludge out as I'm not really keen on pulling off the sump and pick up line and cleaning them manually.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Tear down is probably the only way you are going to clean a sludged up engine, if it is bad. You can try a bottle of flush and idle it for the time it says on the bottle. You can also try some diesel. Some use a litre of ATF. I wouldn't recommend petrol. You need to run the engine for 10-15mins at idle to flush it. Really though, the timing cover needs to come off as does sump and rocker covers.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There’s actually a few active threads on this very topic right now.

I wouldn’t use the old school diesel and oil mix.

Buy a dedicated engine flush product.

I use liqui-moly.

The day before you do the change and flush, remove the PCV hose from the valve cover. Spray some throttle body cleaner into the hole in the top of the PCV and make sure it’s going through.

Drop the oil, replace with clean cheap oil. Then add the flush product.

Run engine as directed by the flush product of your choice.

Drop the oil again and install a new filter and refill with ~6.5ltrs (maybe a bit less) of 5w30 synthetic oil.

Aim to do another flush or change soon if the motor is an unknown and even a 3rd soon after that to get things how you might want.

Jazza.s

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ calais
Thanks for the advice. Yer only had the car a week so might do a couple of flushes

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Last edited:

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Tear down is probably the only way you are going to clean a sludged up engine, if it is bad. You can try a bottle of flush and idle it for the time it says on the bottle. You can also try some diesel. Some use a litre of ATF. I wouldn't recommend petrol. You need to run the engine for 10-15mins at idle to flush it. Really though, the timing cover needs to come off as does sump and rocker covers.

Diesel is good and so is kerosene. It is in commercial engine flush products so it must be good.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Gee i wonder if a cup of turps would work or maybe fork out the extra for a bottle of "pro" strength ... that would also make a nice bottle of "lifter free" ...

Buy a commercial product because the naive and ignorant need to pay to use simple common products in fancy bottles ...

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Here we go again....

Using a flush in an unknown engine is a double edged sword as it may loosen up a heap of build up crap and potentially block the oil pick up causing a loss of oil pressure.

Another option might be to do a couple of oil changes over a short period and use a diesel type oil that contain more detergents to slowly remove built up gunk from inside the crank case.

What ever you do, if you end up going the route of using an engine flush, do NOT drive the car once you have added it to the engine as the flush dilutes/thins out the oil and it will not protect the engine under load like normal oil does.

Last edited:

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Unbelievable .... from injector cleaners to engine flushes ...

http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/wp/msds_files/2784.pdf

Buy a commercial product because the naive and ignorant need to pay to use simple common products in fancy bottles ...

My comment was more to the fact that you started the same **** in another thread. Just because you don't like certain products on the market doesn't mean they don't work. If you are happy to add a cup of turps and/or kerosene to your engine oil that is fine but please don't belittle others because they choose to use products that were designed to do said job.