Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Hesitates when i hard accel

Jaydos27

Reaction score
Members Ride
sv6 vz
Hey everyone i have a 2004 sv6 vz ute
everything seems fine with the engine but when i plant my foot at around 2k rpm it will hesitate until it slowly builds up another 300rpm give or take. i just got the fuel filter replaced as ive been told that might of be the problem but its barely improved. anyone know what the problem might be? im thinking the throttle position sensor but im unsure, cheers

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Just a basic check list:
# Replace fuel filter....Which has already been done.
# Check the condition of the air filter & replace it if it's dirty.
# Clean the MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor) Use only a proper MAF cleaner for this job, not throttle body & carby cleaner.
# Clean the Throttle Body

Do those basic steps first before replacing any parts, and if it does not improve have the car scanned for Fault Codes before doing anything else.
It really could be a number of things causing the problem, without scanning it for fault codes you will just be throwing money at it replacing parts until the problem is fixed.

Jaydos27

Reaction score
Members Ride
sv6 vz
Just a basic check list:
# Replace fuel filter....Which has already been done.
# Check the condition of the air filter & replace it if it's dirty.
# Clean the MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor) Use only a proper MAF cleaner for this job, not throttle body & carby cleaner.
# Clean the Throttle Body

Do those basic steps first before replacing any parts, and if it does not improve have the car scanned for Fault Codes before doing anything else.
It really could be a number of things causing the problem, without scanning it for fault codes you will just be throwing money at it replacing parts until the problem is fixed.

cheers man, appreciate you helping me out

Mick06 svz

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz svz 3.5l alloytec
Got the same problem at the moment mate, originally had a stored p0627 “fuel pump malfunction” fixed fuel pump and replaced filter, removed code and problem still exists.
A few drives back and forth rechecked with the obd2 and found pending “cylinder 5 misfire” and “multiple cylinder misfire” codes.
I’ve recently purchased items as I’m due for my major service, just waiting when time is available to fit. New ngk platinum plugs, 6 new ignition coils and drive belt.
My fingers are crossed these items will fix it. codes will find faults but sometimes a process of elimination is required...very frustrating. Good luck and let us know if the problem is solved.

Jaydos27

Reaction score
Members Ride
sv6 vz
just cleaned the MAF and throttle body, car is running much smoother, any luck on your car?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The VZ doesn't have a TPS like the older models did.
Check my thread on the VZ throttle body.

ShellyMacca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Loving this forum... I'm learning alot... Like my car sounds like its in need of a major service... Which means more money on top of rego then again it sound better then having to replace the heart or soul of it

Mick06 svz

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz svz 3.5l alloytec
just cleaned the MAF and throttle body, car is running much smoother, any luck on your car?
Hey mate, just an update. Got the new plugs, coils in and spayed the maf sensor. Fixed my powertrain (limp mode) issue.