Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Hesitation

Acclaim96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
At the start of the year my car was spitting when i put the boot in and took off fast. I got new spark plugs and it fixed the problem. But now the problem has come back. Surley spark plugs last longer than 5 months....

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
yes they should last a few years unless its burning lots of oil and has fouled up the electrodes ?
More likely a problem with leads this time , or a faulty coilpack. Check the leads for any worn spots where they rub on engine.

Acclaim96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
yes they should last a few years unless its burning lots of oil and has fouled up the electrodes ?
More likely a problem with leads this time , or a faulty coilpack. Check the leads for any worn spots where they rub on engine.

Coil pack is about 1 yr old, leads are about 1 yr old too. Though i noticed that the back right lead is more loose than the others. Im surprised it hasnt fallen off yet lol. I've tried to make the connection tighter but it doesnt do anything. At the time i think i paid something like $60 for the leads, think there 9mm ones??? I've been using 15w60 semi synth oil, and i've been told that i should be using 20w50? Is that correct.

tt460

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS exec
5 months does seem short even when driving a large amount, the plugs could stuffed/fouled for a variety of reasons bad fuel, wrong heat range, fuel additives or even just fouled from running rich. I would remove the plugs give them a clean and gap them, and see if it fixes the problem.

I would also look at cleaning the AFM.

Replaced everything on a mates 4 cylinder toyota still had a miss rebuilt the carby adjusted everything on it, still had the miss. had dinner and a beer, we went out to check everything again it was getting dark and i saw a new lead shorting out tried 2 of the old ones before we found a good one, problem fixed.

So have a look under the bonnet at night and in the dark you might see a lead shorting out, its hard to see a spark in the day.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
15W60 is OK , i've got 20W60 in mine and still OK but not real good for cold weather, too thick at startup. But no, this will not cause your problem.
Try replacing that loose lead, they should be tight at both ends.