Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engine just doesnt want to work.......

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 'S' Pack '03
ok...

I've got a really frustrating story at the moment. I have tried to rebuild my 202 several times and it doest seem to work...

Right now i can't get any oil pressure in it... pick-up is fine.. oil pump worked in previuos motor, new filter and it just doesnt work

Any ideas???

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Did you pack the oil pump with vaseline? Often you do this and it will start to gain oil pressure. Also whats the sender umit like on the oil pump?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 'S' Pack '03
yes it has been packed with vasaline...... how long would it take to gain pressure doing this

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
shouldn't take long at all.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 'S' Pack '03
it doesnt work... got any ideas on what else it could be???

Or how to fix it

Oh at around 4000 revs could get decent pressure but wud go down when idling if that helps

Last edited:

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
What oil are you running?. That could be a problem.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Don't get the synthetic stuff, not good for old motors. I think 202s use 20/40 oil. Hmmm need to look in my VB-VK manaul and see what it says.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
I wouldnt pack an oil pump with vaseline, I have seen cam shafts damaged this way, the vaseline will disolve when heated but will return to its consistancy when cold, meaning you could clog a pushrod, oil gallery etc.

When you fit your oil filter prefill it with oil and then fit it to the oil pump. On a 202 you are better to prime the oil galleries, to do this remove the oil pressure sender & fit a tube to the block, I normally use an airline attachment with a hose over the end hooked up to an oil gun.
Basically pump about 1L of oil though the motor then fill the remaining 4L of oil via the rocker cover, if you tip it in quick enough it will fill the top end covering the valves.
Next with the spark plugs removed crank the engine over this will pump oil through the engine with minimal load, once oil pressure is achieved then get it ready to start. Whilst cranking the engine over have someone look insid ethe rocker cover and you should see oil filling the top of the rocker arms, this will mean the lifters are pumped up.

Also when you build an engine you should use some form of anti seize lube like Nulon L90 on the cam shaft, valves, rocker gear etc.

cheers
Scott

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
If you do have a plastic oil pressure line, id go and get a copper line instead for about $7-14.