Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Knock, Connection Rod, What are my options? SV6 SII SIDI

Himynameisari

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
In the last week or so I noticed a rattle on acceleration. Booked it in for a service and a check and the mechanic said it was a "Con rod issue", which I'm assuming means connection rod. He said the engine is on it's way out and it would require a rebuild to fix that issue. At this stage what can I do, I have it parked up and I'm refraining form driving it unless neccessary.

1. I have extended warranty and I'm still covered until September or 100,000km (at 90k now). Is this covered by Holden? Will it be a struggle to try and get them to fix it?

2. Trade it in back to the dealership and say nothing. I think this may be the easiest way out, I have a few grand left on finance for it, but it should be under the buy out price.

3. Rebuild the engine. How much would this cost approx?

4. Buy another engine. Is this more cost effective to buy a second hand SV6 engine, are their alternatives? What would I be looking at to do this?

Thanks in advance.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I suspect a rebuild is more expensive than a replacement engine. This is very low kms to have this problem, has the car been serviced always on time? If you have extended warranty absolutely that should cover it, but I come back to the service question there - if you've skipped or overdue service your extended warranty won't cover you.
If you are looking at getting another engine, there a two types as far as the SV6 goes, and engine known as LLT and the later type known as LFX both are 3.6 litres and since late 2009 all 3.6 engines are SIDI engines.
I'm thinking if no warranty, then a replacement second hand engine will probably be most cost effective. The problem with a used engine is you don't know how good it is, you may be lucky to find a really good low km engine. If it was my car I'd prefer a new engine LFX but I'm not sure that a 2011 originally had an LFX, I suspect you probably have an LLT and it will be harder to get a good replacent engine of the same type if that's the case.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Warranty. That's what warranty is for.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
1. I would be getting a second opinion and the way to do that now is to submit a warranty claim with whomever you have contracted with on the extended warranty and they will investigate and have an assessment carried out.

2. So read your warranty contract and see what is covered, the terms and conditions of coverage and then submit a claim in the manner prescribed to the company who has provided the warranty to you.

3. After the warranty company has investigated the problem and indicated to you what they will do I would then be making a decision on whether you will bother having it repaired or just trading it on another vehicle. Typically when you are getting a trade in valuation the big dealerships quite often won't bother test driving the car. Some of them won't even bother starting the engine.

------------------------------------------
An engine should not be knocking internally at 90000 kms unless servicing has been neglected or the engine has been thrashed/abused at some stage. I would expect the warranty company will normally want to see evidence that the engine has been properly serviced in accordance with the Holden service schedule and in accordance with the applicable terms of your extended warranty contract.

Himynameisari

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
I was about 4 months past the scheduled service. Yeah mine is the LLT, I saw them for between $1990 - $3500 depending on kms.

Himynameisari

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
servicing has been neglected or the engine has been thrashed/abused at some stage. I would expect the warranty company will normally want to see evidence that the engine has been properly serviced in accordance with the Holden service schedule

It's Holden extended warranty, in terms of thrashing it, it's an Auto so the only time it gets a rev is when I merge onto the motor way, other than that its driven like a granny around town. When I bought it (60,000km) about a week after it had non stop check engine lights coming on; Holden would bandaid fix it, light would come back on, rinse repeat about 4 times. It's been reliable since up until the past week and a half. The knocking is so noticable on ignition that I wouldn't be suprised if they told me to get lost if I tried to trade it in.

The only engines I can find circa 80k - 100k are $2,000 to $3500! Surely a rebuild is less than that?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
No way, an engine rebuild would use about $$1500 worth of parts plus at least 2 grand labour so probably $4500 all done.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Generally for a proper rebuild you're looking at 5k+ not including remove and refit. You're better off having a second hand engine with warranty installed. Holden won't honor your warranty if you've ignored service intervals - if it hasn't gone past the specified mileage you may be in with a chance.

Dynamic Dazz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Wagon
Just as a reference although mines the LFW VE3.0sidi.....
Picked up a second hand VF 2016 28k motor with all add ons, alternator etc $2200.....Labour was just over $1800 which included a sump swap so VF engine would work in VE.....

Ps a mate who is a mechanic was going to charge $500 to $600 to do engine swap but mechanic shop scared me saying sensors could be different.....Turned out sensors no issue and caught him in a lie when he was telling me how expensive the new sump gasket was yet GM says they don't use a gasket rather a sealant.....who knows who to believe

Last edited: