Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engine knock

sleepyjean

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim
Hi all just purchased a 95 VS Statesman V6. It has a knock in the engine, it is intermittent while in park but apparently there all the time when driving, I havent driven it yet, it seems to be coming from around the induction and sounds more alloy than steel. Also there seems to be very low oil pressure. Just wondering if anyone had any idea to what it might be before I start pulling it apart.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
I'm having a guess and say oil pump related.
Be sure to update the thread when you strip it.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Oil pump and possibly bottom end wear if it's been running with low oil pressure

If you are getting low oil pressure the car should not be driven until you know what the problem is

I too purchased a statesman at the start of the year with oil pressure problems, mine ended up with a bad big end bearing, ended up swapping motors as this one was too far gone.

sleepyjean

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim
Yeah well I kind of figured oil pump but the knock sounds more alloy than steel and it seems to be coming from the top of the motor somewhere inside the valley. The big end and mains have no noise at all, I did drive the car and the knock was intermittent as it disappeared at times. Given it was less than 5 KLM to get it home I am starting to think it may be in the front of the motor around the cam, noise traveling up into the induction to where t is hollow and resonating a bit there. I will be stripping the front of the motor over the weekend. I will update what I find here then.

Koza13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
i hope you didnt pay too much for it. sounds like a lot of work to me, but then again i bought a vr for cheap just so i could fix the problems on it, its nearly road worthy and once i get it registered i plan on driving it for 6 months and then sell it.
My suggestions for your car is explore every possibility of whats wrong with it, test it, fix it, test it, fix it, then do what ever you want to it, make it yours, sell it.
maybe start off with giving it a good old fashioned tune then pulling it apart in the area that you think the sound is coming from to see if there is any damage, then checking the components around it to see if they're working properly. apart from that i couldnt think of anything that springs to mind to fix your problem

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Yeah well I kind of figured oil pump but the knock sounds more alloy than steel and it seems to be coming from the top of the motor somewhere inside the valley. The big end and mains have no noise at all, I did drive the car and the knock was intermittent as it disappeared at times. Given it was less than 5 KLM to get it home I am starting to think it may be in the front of the motor around the cam, noise traveling up into the induction to where t is hollow and resonating a bit there. I will be stripping the front of the motor over the weekend. I will update what I find here then.

If it sounds like a top end rattle/knock then it's probably the balance shaft bearings.

All V6's do this when they get old, it won't hurt your motor......you can either ignore it or remove the balance shaft sprocket under the timing cover to disable the shaft (just makes your idle a little rougher)

But before anything fix your oil pressure problems, if you keep driving it with low oil pressure you will be in for a world of hurt........remember even a few seconds without oil pressure can kill a motor...so fix it before the worst happens