Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Knocking at Idle..

jtyoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore
There's plenty of threads around with similar sort of issues and I read through them but i couldn't find one with exactly the same symptoms.

I replaced the water pump in my VP about a week and a half ago and there were no leaks/car was running well and not too hot.

I drove it to work the other day; and when I started it after work thats when I noticed the knocking sound coming from the engine.

I did an oil change and replaced the filter with a Ryco one but it doesn't seem to have fixed the problem.

The sound only occurs when the engine is idling, but it does it in all the gears, including Park. It's sort of a metallic knock but not tinny it sounds a bit like a rattle even.
Once I begin to accelerate the sound goes away and I'm pretty sure it's not just being drowned out, because I've had the radio off/windows down listening for it, It doesn't sound like it's getting worse but I can't imagine its great for the engine to be driving round if there's something wrong.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated as I'd rather not have to get the engine taken apart/pay for the labour for that if there are other possible issues that are causing the noise.

cheers

jtyoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
also check your cat converter the rattle when they are stuffed

mundine

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn
check the rubber on the harmonic balancer for crakes or take the belt off and turn the harmonic balancer by hand if it moves its stuffed if it doesent its fine then looke at all the pulleys if there is nothing wrong there check the cat if that is ok then it might time for engine rebuild hope that helps

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Check your engine oil pressure sound like the start of some big problems!
Does it sound like a knock or a tap?
Could be a lifter if its a tap, when your drivin the outside noise can drown it out.
But if its a knock then get your car checked before its to late!!!!!:rip:

Daniel.B

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec S2 3.8
mine does this on idle aswell, VP V6, but i also get the same noise under full acceleration at higher revs, as i don't have a tacho, im guessing between 4000-5000rpm, sounds really nasty too at those revs, does your do this aswell?

Azp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN/VR
Yeah that recorded sound file does sound like it..thanks for that..Did you get yours fixed/how much (roughly) did it cost?

Yeah I got mine fixed for the price of the balancer which was about $130NZ second hand. They're about $230NZ new over here but saw in some threads that you can get them new for $150 or less in Aus. I did the work myself so didn't pay labor. Very easy to do if you or a mate has a good rattle gun and a suitable puller. Wouldn't take long for a mechanic to do anyway because it's just one bolt.

As mundine said, check the rubber around it. Mine had a large chunk of missing rubber and a crack going through it. With the driver belt off I was able to rotate it by hand.

mine does this on idle aswell, VP V6, but i also get the same noise under full acceleration at higher revs, as i don't have a tacho, im guessing between 4000-5000rpm, sounds really nasty too at those revs, does your do this aswell?

I can't say if mine did it at high rpm because when it started making the noise I pretty much just limped it home fairly gently.

jtyoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore
thanks for the responses guys.

Its definetly more of a 'knock' and less like a tapping noise.
I've got some time this arvo/sunday to have a look at the car so Im going to check the Balancer etc so I'll post any updates. The oil pressure seems to be ok though.

It's not being driven at the moment so at least the problem cant get worse:yeah:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I had a knock that turned out to be the fuel pressure dampner (not the actual name). It sits in behind the throttle body. It is not the pressure regulator, it is another part that looks kinda similar just near it. Drove me crazy till I found it :)