Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Knocking at Idle..

badass77impala

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive
i ha a rod bearing get thrown and the first thing i did wass take the drive belt off to see if it was that damn balancer but nope it was a rod bearing when i took it out n tore it down. in the end i had gotten a wagon with a stuffed gearbox for 300 so i put the motor into the sedan and just recently got a really primo motor for the wagon n its all back to good now.

Dozer31

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE S1 calais
I had a knock that turned out to be the fuel pressure dampner (not the actual name). It sits in behind the throttle body. It is not the pressure regulator, it is another part that looks kinda similar just near it. Drove me crazy till I found it :)
Hi
I know you posted this some time ago but having similar issues and might be the same as what you were going through.
I have ve v6 on start it is fine and then it starts to make this knocking noise as it warms up on idle.
Noise stops on acceleration.
So this part you described is it at the back of the internet manifold near the fuel rail.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Farrrrk. That’s a while back. On the VP ute I had. I can’t even picture it now. I think it was separate to the fuel rail. Someone will chime in with the answer.

wild mulberry

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn 5lt berlina wagon
what you describe is worn big end bearings 101............hopefully its something else...that's what i was hoping for with my 5ltr when it had a slightly audible knock knock on idle but went away when you accelerated but alas it wasn't, it was worse.
IMG_9684.JPG

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
That's not a big end issue that's bent rod probably copped some hydraulicaction -hydrolock(??)

Fuel dampener...vn/p had 2 of the buggers yet still pulsated fuel lines.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Maybe do a compression test if you're worried about the conrods.

Dozer31

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE S1 calais
what you describe is worn big end bearings 101............hopefully its something else...that's what i was hoping for with my 5ltr when it had a slightly audible knock knock on idle but went away when you accelerated but alas it wasn't, it was worse.
View attachment 226752
Thanks for your reply
Stage thing is priority to timing chains replacement motor was fine with NO noise. Since de sludge inside around rockers and put back together it is only now that it is making noise so at this stage I don't think it would be a big end bearing.
Just waiting for someone else to jump it for any suggestions.
Cheers