Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ENGINE light, ABS light, TRAC OFF light AIRBAG light and OIL light

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by jamierawr88, Dec 30, 2009.

1. 11gothevt11

11gothevt11 New Member

Members Ride:
    99 VT Sedan
    I had this exzact same problem over a year ago

I bought a reco abs module from ebay

Since than everything went back to normal

But about 3 times the abs off and trac off light came on

But that is nothing as befor the reco these lights would come on almost everyday

Also my car was doing the funny thing with the christmas light....but that has never happened since i changed the abs module

and befor the reco my car was cutting out...Now since the reco this has never happened

here is a link where i bought my abs module
    VT, VX, V6 ABS MODULE W/TRAC CONTRL C/O REPAIR SERVICE | eBay

2. HoldensBestVehicle

HoldensBestVehicle Banned

Members Ride:
    1999 VT
    have you jumpstarted someone elses car with yours by any chance?, if so, it can mess with the lights on the cluster sometimes. Might be a job for an auto elec

3. db_notso

db_notso diagnostic technician...

Members Ride:
    vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
    all those lights on generally points to eather faulty terminal solder on abs module plug (harness side)
    or a failing abs module... (and an abs code disables the traction control) (as long as battery charge light isnt on when running (if so cehck engine earths and altenator))

if soldering the terminals on the abs plug gets rid of the other lights then you ALSO
    need the codes in the pcm and abs module cleared or the lights will stay on...

if its a failed abs module its generally unchanged by soldering the terminals on the abs connector.

hope this helps...

4. jafo

jafo lurker since 2003

Members Ride:
    1999 wh statesman
    all abs modules are matched to the abs pump they are on if you mismatch the numbers they dont work
    if its second hand not refurbished it may be faulty aswell as the usually last about 100,000km
    they also come with traction control and without so you need to get the correct one.

honestly there must be a dozen different threads on this subject and they all say the same thing

anyone ever heard of the search function on the forum instead of starting a new thread about an old subject

5. Dezza

Dezza your local HSV dealer

Members Ride:
    VX SS M6
    Hi there i used the search function as this has just happend to me i got in my car yesturday after work had my dash all lit up it played me a few tunes i had a full tank of fuel and no temp gauge. after checking everything, oil water etc i drove straight to my mechanic he hooked up the scan gauge but it would show any faults only maff error ( but its maffless so normal) then we turned it all of and tried again and the scan gauge would connect to the car so its with him atm... may suggest to him about the abs modual as i have felt it coming on after light breaking on for a split second now and then over the last few weeks, will it cause any damage driving the car like this? also my trip meter was going pretty fast i think i did about 40 kms for a 12 km trip

6. mrfixit

mrfixit New Member

Members Ride:
    2005 VZ COMMODORE V6 WAGON
    I also have the same problem with my vx belina abs air bag oil light and the temp gauge go's off ,had a scanner connect up today and it was found it had numerous communication errors they got erased then car got test driven on return the only fault code it return was an ABS to dash communication error was adviced all faults consistent with a failed ABS module and advised to have it replaced and retested but as I read on here it may not be just that as ABS brakes company advice me they also check the wheel sensors as well so yeah I don't know what to do myself pay and test pay and test is too costly help .

7. TI3VOM

TI3VOM Active Member

Members Ride:
    VT Commodore
    Replace your ABS unit, wheel speed sensors wont make all those lights come up (a faulty ABS module will). So replace that first.

8. Dezza

Dezza your local HSV dealer

Members Ride:
    VX SS M6
    New abs module and its all sweet also apparently not all modules are interchangeable so make sure you get the right one

9. galahs

galahs Member

Members Ride:
    VT
    I just thought I'd add this info in case it helps anyone.

Was driving home at night with my lights on, then the battery light came on. A few seconds later the ABS OFF light came on, a few more seconds and the Dash Gauges all went to zero.

Hmmm

Battery is only 1 year old.

Got home, put the voltmeter on the battery with engine off. 12.4 volts = All good

Put the voltmeter on the battery terminal whilst idling. 14.6 volts = All good there too.

Battery light still on, but would turn off if I put on high beams.

WTF!!!

Went to bed, got up the next morning. Battery flat as a tack.

So flat cannot open door locks using remote. Oh no!

Turned key in drivers door clockwise, lifted handle door opens. Yay!!!

Opened bonnet, put voltmeter across battery terminals = 2 volts. Crap

Took battery out of car, put voltmeter across terminals = 5 volts. My head hurts.

Off to SuperCheap to purchase a battery charger. Charge battery over night.

looking for an open circuit that drains my battery with everything switched off. Set multimeter to 10 amps DC mode.

Put battery back in car, connect earth lead to battery terminal, but put multimeter in series with positive terminal and positive battery cable.... 4 amps

Disconnect power lead to alternator.

drops to 0.03 AMPS. Bingo!!!

Dodgey diodes in Alternator.

Off to Rip off Repco... $360 for Bosch Alternator (same one is $100 cheaper online with free delivery).

Fitted new alternator, now all good.

p.s. If it wasn't the alternator draining the battery, try pulling one fuse at a time to determine what system is being naughty and stealing all the AMPS.

10. Joelene

Joelene Member

Members Ride:
    VE Commodore
    I know this is an old thread but anyone who has recently had this instrument alarms problem it is NOT the ABS module even though the ABS light comes up.

It is clearly the voltage regulator attached to the alternator. Replace this for $85 from your local Holden dealer and your problem will be solved. Do not going buying ABS modules. They are around $700 and WILL NOT fix your problem.

When this regulator goes high volts the regulator cuts the power from the alternator leaving the battery only providing voltage to the display. This in effect simulates the ignition on sequence prior to starting and the alternator voltage coming online hence you see all the alarms on the instrument display as if you are about to start your vehicle but the engine hasn't started yet.. When the voltage regulator cuts out on high volts it will leave the ABS light activated (by the battery) because the ABS has been disconnected, because it runs off alternator voltage and this has currently been removed by the voltage regulator protection feature. This will become intermittent as the voltage regulator switches on and off to protect the car's electronics from high voltage.
    Typically the alternator will be reading anything up to 21 volts when this occurs.
    It's a hard fault to locate. Tip. "Borrow" someone's voltage regulator. You will see I am right.

Tania john likes this.
  11. scbh81

scbh81 VRUUUM XU6 180 SC

Members Ride:
    HSV XU6 VTII 99
    @Joelene I know it's been a while since this post but does it fix the issue by just changing the regulator? My symptoms are as below;
    ABS light comes on then after 10 or so seconds the trac off, low track, airbag and oil light came on followed by the temp gauge stop working. Also it beeped a fine tune twice. Then after about 30 mins of driving the temp gauge started working and all but the check engine light and trac off light remained. I stopped the car and after 10 mins or so started and no more lights or warnings. Does this sound like the regulator to you? Also the cluster window shows a voltage of about 13.5v @ 2000 rpm. Hope you can help. Thanks in advance.

12. lout

lout Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VX Executive S2
    scbh81 sounds more like your abs module than regulator
    if voltage was above 15v then regulator
    13.5v is low which doesnt trigger these problems

13. scbh81

scbh81 VRUUUM XU6 180 SC

Members Ride:
    HSV XU6 VTII 99
    Thanks so much @lout
    Could it be that the regulator threw it out when it gave those errors at the start and then moved to 13.5v? I also noticed that battery before I start in the morning is around 11.9-12.2? Maybe it's the regulator not allowing the battery to charge? Could this be possible?
    Also is there a way to test the regulator?

14. lout

lout Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VX Executive S2
    to test regulator
    you can use your cluster window voltage
    key on engine off battery should be around 12v, which yours is. a little low but not too bad
    engine running between 13.2v and 14.4v which yours is
    if severely above or below with engine running indicates alternator problem
    to diagnose abs you unplug the module and see if most of your symptoms go away

15. scbh81

scbh81 VRUUUM XU6 180 SC

Members Ride:
    HSV XU6 VTII 99
    Ok great. Thanks so much for your assistance mate. Appreciate it a lot. So what should I look for when I unplug the ABS? Is it easy to unplug?

16. VT&VX

VT&VX Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX Acclaim
    Yes. Big plug, has a locking slide out piece.

17. scbh81

scbh81 VRUUUM XU6 180 SC

Members Ride:
    HSV XU6 VTII 99
    Hi @lout The symptoms came back again and this time while the engine was idling i disconnected the ABS. The oil and airbag light came off but the engine light, ABS, Trac off and Low Trac came on, the fan was still running at a 100 miles. Does this confirm its an ABS module fault? Or do all the lights and fan need to turn off when i disconnected it while running?
    Now i have disconnected, I restarted the car and only the ABS, Trac Off and Low Trac lights are ON. Should i drive around with it disconnected and see if other lights come ON again? Is this a good way to isolate the issue?

18. lout

lout Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VX Executive S2
    sounds like abs, as the oil and airbag went out
    never disconnect an electrical item when running as you can spike things big time

19. VT&VX

VT&VX Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX Acclaim
    We have been for a year. We realise this means we don't have trac or ABS, but if the ABS plug is connected then all sorts of electrical system gremlins appear.
    We bought a replacement ABS module, but also researched the reason for this fault. They designed a failure point, the aluminium wire (two of them) that breaks.

20. scbh81

scbh81 VRUUUM XU6 180 SC

Members Ride:
    HSV XU6 VTII 99
    Oops. Luckily nothing happened. I was just following a tip from one of the JC members.