Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ENGINE light, ABS light, TRAC OFF light AIRBAG light and OIL light

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
Hi there everyone, I have got a VX SS 2001 Sedan. PROBLEM is firstly ABS warning light comes on then a few seconds later all others (Trac ON/OFF, Engine, Oil - like a bloodly christmas tree lights!) Then after checking all engine stuff - eg, oil,fliuds & belts still same thing. After driving for about 15-20 mins the lights all turn off (back to normal) but then repeat - ABS first, then every other warning comes back on after about another 15 mins. So is there any new information on this problem??? Or is it the ABS module problem and no real fix.

I had this exzact same problem over a year ago

I bought a reco abs module from ebay

Since than everything went back to normal

But about 3 times the abs off and trac off light came on

But that is nothing as befor the reco these lights would come on almost everyday

Also my car was doing the funny thing with the christmas light....but that has never happened since i changed the abs module

and befor the reco my car was cutting out...Now since the reco this has never happened

here is a link where i bought my abs module
VT, VX, V6 ABS MODULE W/TRAC CONTRL C/O REPAIR SERVICE | eBay

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT
have you jumpstarted someone elses car with yours by any chance?, if so, it can mess with the lights on the cluster sometimes. Might be a job for an auto elec

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
all those lights on generally points to eather faulty terminal solder on abs module plug (harness side)
or a failing abs module... (and an abs code disables the traction control) (as long as battery charge light isnt on when running (if so cehck engine earths and altenator))

if soldering the terminals on the abs plug gets rid of the other lights then you ALSO
need the codes in the pcm and abs module cleared or the lights will stay on...

if its a failed abs module its generally unchanged by soldering the terminals on the abs connector.

hope this helps...

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
all abs modules are matched to the abs pump they are on if you mismatch the numbers they dont work
if its second hand not refurbished it may be faulty aswell as the usually last about 100,000km
they also come with traction control and without so you need to get the correct one.

honestly there must be a dozen different threads on this subject and they all say the same thing

anyone ever heard of the search function on the forum instead of starting a new thread about an old subject

Dezza

your local HSV dealer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
Hi there i used the search function as this has just happend to me i got in my car yesturday after work had my dash all lit up it played me a few tunes i had a full tank of fuel and no temp gauge. after checking everything, oil water etc i drove straight to my mechanic he hooked up the scan gauge but it would show any faults only maff error ( but its maffless so normal) then we turned it all of and tried again and the scan gauge would connect to the car so its with him atm... may suggest to him about the abs modual as i have felt it coming on after light breaking on for a split second now and then over the last few weeks, will it cause any damage driving the car like this? also my trip meter was going pretty fast i think i did about 40 kms for a 12 km trip

mrfixit

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ COMMODORE V6 WAGON
I also have the same problem with my vx belina abs air bag oil light and the temp gauge go's off ,had a scanner connect up today and it was found it had numerous communication errors they got erased then car got test driven on return the only fault code it return was an ABS to dash communication error was adviced all faults consistent with a failed ABS module and advised to have it replaced and retested but as I read on here it may not be just that as ABS brakes company advice me they also check the wheel sensors as well so yeah I don't know what to do myself pay and test pay and test is too costly help .

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I also have the same problem with my vx belina abs air bag oil light and the temp gauge go's off ,had a scanner connect up today and it was found it had numerous communication errors they got erased then car got test driven on return the only fault code it return was an ABS to dash communication error was adviced all faults consistent with a failed ABS module and advised to have it replaced and retested but as I read on here it may not be just that as ABS brakes company advice me they also check the wheel sensors as well so yeah I don't know what to do myself pay and test pay and test is too costly help .

Replace your ABS unit, wheel speed sensors wont make all those lights come up (a faulty ABS module will). So replace that first.

Dezza

your local HSV dealer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
New abs module and its all sweet also apparently not all modules are interchangeable so make sure you get the right one

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I just thought I'd add this info in case it helps anyone.

Was driving home at night with my lights on, then the battery light came on. A few seconds later the ABS OFF light came on, a few more seconds and the Dash Gauges all went to zero.

Hmmm

Battery is only 1 year old.

Got home, put the voltmeter on the battery with engine off. 12.4 volts = All good

Put the voltmeter on the battery terminal whilst idling. 14.6 volts = All good there too.

Battery light still on, but would turn off if I put on high beams.

WTF!!!

Went to bed, got up the next morning. Battery flat as a tack.

So flat cannot open door locks using remote. Oh no!

Turned key in drivers door clockwise, lifted handle door opens. Yay!!!

Opened bonnet, put voltmeter across battery terminals = 2 volts. Crap

Took battery out of car, put voltmeter across terminals = 5 volts. My head hurts.

Off to SuperCheap to purchase a battery charger. Charge battery over night.

looking for an open circuit that drains my battery with everything switched off. Set multimeter to 10 amps DC mode.

Put battery back in car, connect earth lead to battery terminal, but put multimeter in series with positive terminal and positive battery cable.... 4 amps

Disconnect power lead to alternator.

drops to 0.03 AMPS. Bingo!!!

Dodgey diodes in Alternator.

Off to Rip off Repco... $360 for Bosch Alternator (same one is $100 cheaper online with free delivery).

Fitted new alternator, now all good.

p.s. If it wasn't the alternator draining the battery, try pulling one fuse at a time to determine what system is being naughty and stealing all the AMPS.

Joelene

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
I know this is an old thread but anyone who has recently had this instrument alarms problem it is NOT the ABS module even though the ABS light comes up.

It is clearly the voltage regulator attached to the alternator. Replace this for $85 from your local Holden dealer and your problem will be solved. Do not going buying ABS modules. They are around $700 and WILL NOT fix your problem.

When this regulator goes high volts the regulator cuts the power from the alternator leaving the battery only providing voltage to the display. This in effect simulates the ignition on sequence prior to starting and the alternator voltage coming online hence you see all the alarms on the instrument display as if you are about to start your vehicle but the engine hasn't started yet.. When the voltage regulator cuts out on high volts it will leave the ABS light activated (by the battery) because the ABS has been disconnected, because it runs off alternator voltage and this has currently been removed by the voltage regulator protection feature. This will become intermittent as the voltage regulator switches on and off to protect the car's electronics from high voltage.
Typically the alternator will be reading anything up to 21 volts when this occurs.
It's a hard fault to locate. Tip. "Borrow" someone's voltage regulator. You will see I am right.