Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You need some sort of sealant on the gasket or they leak. New sensors are known to fail....... I go through them like mad....

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Will be sensor or wiring issue.

should be able to check cts with multimeter although if not first time fault code came up I'd be checking wiring like loose plug or wires going to it then if earths are all good.

Water leak wont set codes off.

commodorev6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais V6
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Does anyone know what this green wire does? As you can see the thermostat housing has some coolant leaking slightly so that will need to be removed and a new gasket and Permatex RTV Silicone Gasket Maker, Multi-Purpose - Ultra Blue to seal it.

Can that green wire be unplugged? Its a fragile plastic clip. If this is the issue and a replacement is required where would I be able to purchase a replacement?

COOLANT TEMP SENSOR (2) RESIZED.jpg

COOLANT TEMP SENSOR (1) RESIZED.jpg

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Green wire sensor is for the temp gauge on the dash.
Just slide the connector off the sensor.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Does anyone know what this green wire does? As you can see the thermostat housing has some coolant leaking slightly so that will need to be removed and a new gasket and Permatex RTV Silicone Gasket Maker, Multi-Purpose - Ultra Blue to seal it.

Can that green wire be unplugged? Its a fragile plastic clip. If this is the issue and a replacement is required where would I be able to purchase a replacement?

View attachment 217830

View attachment 217829
trying using permatex no 3 liquid sealant, better for high temps/coolant, the rtv silicone is better suited for oil leaks. also small coolant stain is ok around housing if your not loosing any coolant, the alloy housing is usually not so flat and the gasket is thin hence the small dribble stain, sand the manifold/thermo housing flat and/or use 2 gaskets for better sealing or buy thick paper gasket and make your own like I do. Also the permatex allows you to reuse the gasket again if you have issues and need to take housing off.

As to the wire .... from memory I think it was the earlier buick that had a extra sensor to plug to guage on dash, the eco's dont use it, they only have coolant temperature sensor and the dash is done through the bcm and temp through the ecu/pcm which use the temp signals for the fan.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS

View attachment 217830

View attachment 217829
Also in your pic if that coolant temperature sensor in the housing below thermo is gone, engine light is trigered by ecu/pcm thinking temps/engine is overheating to prevent it being cooked.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Green wire is temp sensor for dash gauge...earth that gauge goes to hot,it slides off.

Clean area around thermostat etc.
Run the car,get it warmed up & pressurised...then look at gasket to see if leaking.
Turn car off..check if leaks,then again 5-10mins later to make sure no leaks.

If it leaks fix...if it doesn't it's fine unless constantly losing coolant then might have leak elsewhere.

Gasket is coloured but doesn't look like any water leaks or staining in those pics.

commodorev6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais V6
Is there any particular brands of coolant temperature sensor that anyone can recommend?

richrever

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs S2 V6 5,Speed Ute
Hi commodore v6. You cant yse a code reader on vs. Yiu can read codes as earlier described and you hace done. Check the conditiin if the wire wgere it goes into the sensor plugs if it lookes fraid tgat could be the problem check the rest of the engine loom for condition. I had an ongoing overhearing priblem that turned out to be the overflow tanks lid 45° pipe was blocked. But it sounds like you have a gremlin in the wires. Next you tube vidio is how to use a multimeter. Good luck.