Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engine managment light

kezvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnexecutive wagon
i have just fitted a series 2 vr motor into my vn wagon before the change the engine light worked fine but since the engine was fitted by a commodore dealer the engine light no longer works is that the norm or is there a problem :) also what sort of fuel economy should i expect i have been told the vr motor is a lot better on fuel than a vn i changed to a vr motor only because i could not find a vn motor that didnt have a million miles on it any help will be apreciated

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
heheh maybe they'res not a issue with the engine thats why the light isnt on ;)

nah the cluster working fine??? maybe a blown globe,

VR/VN motor should be very similar in fuel ecconomy as they are similar, its things like the fuel filter that people neglect that bring the figures down, oh yeah and heavy feet.... i think its call P plater syndrome
after the VR they moved into alloy heads ect

still diffrent tunes between the engines, did you swap the computer over?? if you didnt send me a PM i could hook u up with a stock VR memcal

have the cluster tested, if the light works there then its maybe the wiring loom?? throw her into self diag mode, find the diag port under the glove box, and get a paperclip and open it out, and bridge the white/black wires and the engine light should flash, it will give ya a idea weather the light is actually working, hope that helps ya mate!

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Hmm. Fuel filter . . . where is this and how expensive is it to replace? Are they straightforward to instal? I have a feeling mine may have been forgotten . . . I could be wrong - I'll ask my mechanic. Thanks for the tip though, PaRaDoX616

Cheers
Sammy B

kezvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnexecutive wagon
savage1987 said:
Hmm. Fuel filter . . . where is this and how expensive is it to replace? Are they straightforward to instal? I have a feeling mine may have been forgotten . . . I could be wrong - I'll ask my mechanic. Thanks for the tip though, PaRaDoX616

Cheers
Sammy B
back right hand side front of fuel tank disconect batery cable watch out fuel will squirt out every where if fuel system not depresurised cost about 18 dollars use new clamps

kezvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnexecutive wagon
thanks for your reply have used self diognose system and light still does not come on am now going to try to get to globe looks like i have to pull car apart thanks for help

kezvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnexecutive wagon
ok found out why light does not come on the smartarses got a screwdriver stuck it up under the dash and knocked the globe and its holder out of the back of the instument cluster why answer is i modified the dash just enought to put globe and its holder back in guess what now light stays on ok any of you experts out there it seems you all know a lot about these cars can anybody help havnt put it back in yet wont do that till i get an answer any help apreciated

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
if its staying on, that means theres an error logged in the ecu

time to do the check and see if it flashes and what the flashes equate to

kezvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnexecutive wagon
it doesnt flash it just stays on any sugestions

kezvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnexecutive wagon
hakhawk said:
if its staying on, that means theres an error logged in the ecu

time to do the check and see if it flashes and what the flashes equate to
thanks for that it doesnt flash how do i cancell fault is a ecu thats the computer im hoping is it the same as a vn as i have another vn computer in my car but i have just had a vr motor fitted as i could not find a vn motor without a million kms on it