Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine mods for VTSS?

MSE089

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black 6sp S2 VT SS
i got a stock VT SS 195i an wanna mod the engine up abit..
I only got bout 3grand to spend.
What would you guys do with the 3grand?

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
cam, cai, full exhaust, and a tune

v8ondubz

L.ove O.f V. 8 E.ngine
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vt 5 litre
m8 im in the process of moding my 5 litre too. im so pissed coz i was meant to get the car today but the guy that was suppose to finish it called in sick faaark! well first of all according to a few experts here, u really have to do a fair bit with the 5 litre to get it goin n they r a little sluggish off the line compared to an ls1. bein a heavy car doesnt help too. anyway juz to give u an idea here is what im doin to my car and the cost plus estimated power gain.

5 litre with CAI, K&N filter and Twin 2 1/2 Cat Back exhaust = currently pulled 140rwkw

Mods getting done at the moment:
HM headers = 770 fitted
high flow cat = 660 for both fitted
cam package n custom tune = 2800
but all at the same time got it down to 3990 which i reckon is a good deal IMO

then also getting a diff upgrade package which includes reconditioned lsd 3.7 gears etc. = 1350
2400/2500 (not entirely sure which one) Stall/Torque converter = 1250
but again doin both at the same time so got it for 2500

stage 3 shift kit plus corvette servo = 400 (now this is when im really confused coz according to the guy its not manualised like what most people say in here and he said that stage four is the one that is fully maunualsed. anyway even if its stage two n he's lyin to me its only 400 fitted which is about the price of stage two anyway according to some ppl here too) but please can some1 really confirm herre what is really stage 3 ty.

now back to the topic. so far 3990+2500+400=6890. Now the estimated power gain from all of this is between 190 to 200rwkw according to him. thats 50 to 60rwkw increase from b4. when i get my car i will let u and everybody know so you will all have an idea(hopefully b4 the weekend).

with ur budget it all depends on what plan u have for ur car in the future. like if ur willing to spend more on it later or not. if yes well my advise is to save that money till u can afford to do it all in 1 go coz u will save a lot more in the end specially in tuning doin it all at the same time. that is the advise that i took from others herre and i totally agree.

if not and 3k is the most u wanna spend well maybe full exhaust, suspension setup and few other little things like K&N fiter etc to suit the budget will make u enjoy the car specially that nice note of 5 litre with good exhaust! yay!

hard to say it but really u have to have a bigger budget than that to even keep up with ls1's even stock. they got so much potential n can make heaps more of gain spending less cash. And im definately sure that 1 day i'll get 1 myself. however i absolutely love my 5 litre i dont know why but maybe juz a pure passion towards it. i really cant explain it but its like fallin in love really. IMO if u really love ur holden, in ur life time u have to own a 5 litre. got nothing against ls1 coz i want 1 myself but really only another 5 litre lovers would understand what i mean.

Dont be pissed if not many ppl reply to u coz it has been covered this things b4 but i was in the same boat as u r b4 so i just want to help n others aswell. well hopefully this helps u. and really THAKS TO THIS FORUM AND OTHERS THAT ALWAYS HELP coz i really had no idea b4 but reading alot in herre really helped me n my clueless knowledge.

v8ondubz

L.ove O.f V. 8 E.ngine
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vt 5 litre
BTW tuning and exhaust atleast is a must!!!! should be at the top of ur list otherwise its pointless
and if it helps here are the other quotes:
auto to manual = 7k brand new 6 speed
stoke to 355 = 7.5k
come intake manifold TTB 3.5k

MSE089

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black 6sp S2 VT SS
Thanks v8ondubz, Didnt have clue as to what i should do. but for the looks of things i gotta spend abit more then 3k if i want a big difference.
I think the best bet would be to keep my 5ltr for now and get a new car with an LS1 later..
but for now ill look into getting CAI and a tune.. already booked the exahust in to get done (gettin pacemaker heads into stainless steel high flow cats into 2.5in twin system- 1700$)

How much would i be looking at for CAI system and a tune?
also any recommendations for places that will do this work in adelaide would be great :)

Thanks for the help so far.

v8ondubz

L.ove O.f V. 8 E.ngine
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vt 5 litre
no worries m8 well im in melb so cant help u there but why dont u try n PM Enhanced Automotive i think theyre one of the sponsor of this site. And i think his from SA. As of CAI Maybe Around 300 and for a custom tune i would have paid 700 if i just wanted the tune but it comes in a package with the cam.

And as for the Buying another car with Ls1, gud idea mate for they gain alot of power with lesser amount of money and apparently theyre still remain street friendly (that ofcourse is only based on the majority of ls1 owners experiences and not mine). dont get me wrong u still have to put Full exhaust, OTRCAI, Mafless tune to get it goin however juz with these little mods they gain alot. Anyway GL with everything M8. wish u all the RWKW lol hahaha

v8ondubz

L.ove O.f V. 8 E.ngine
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vt 5 litre
if it matters for i dont know if ur car is manual or not, my man told me that if its manual my car would crack 200+rwkw easy. u lose alot because of the stall converter.

MSE089

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black 6sp S2 VT SS
yeah no kidding ls1 seem the way to go..
my car is also an auto so thats sucks abit..
but CAI, exhaust and a atune will do till i save up abit some serious cash and go all out on an ls1.
thanks for ur help guys.