Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine mount replacement on VX Commodore

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
We replaced ours and the transmission mount at 180,000 ks, Pedders did the task for bugger all and used the genuine Holden mounts, not the crappy ebay stuff.

Last edited:

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
What's bugger all $?

Chad_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore 2001 VX Acclaim 3.8L
Hi Kais3r,
I encourage you to have a go yourself, both for the cost saving (the mounts were about $55) and the great experience you gain. Get yourself a cheap 15mm ring spanner, a decent socket and ratchet set and a jack and you're tooled up! Having done it I can't imagine the position of the mounts being too critical apart from making sure you get the studs in the holes of course!

I certainly need new tyres, but I am not sure whether it is due to an abnormal wear issue or whether it's just good old fashioned big kilometres. All four have wear, so I hope it is the latter. I'll soon find out though..... :). Thankyou for your offer of help - I will let you know if I come across an issue.

Chad

Chad_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore 2001 VX Acclaim 3.8L
Did you replace with original holden mounts, which are oil filled, or solid ones?

Did you manage to do it without moving the a/c compressor? Did you take the whole mount setup off the drivers side? It is held on by three 19mm bolts and were a real PITA to do.

Hi bOtch,
I replied to your message yesterday but it doesn't appear to have made it...
Anyway, the mounts were not replaced with genuine Holden ones, but they were fluid filled. They cost about $55 from ebay, P&H included.

I did not have to remove the A/C compressor, as I was able to access the wheel side nuts from the engine bay. I also did not have to remove the driver's side mount bracket as, again, the nuts on the engine mount were accessible. Not having to remove the compressor or the mount bracket made the operation much easier!

Thanks for the positive feedback and Im glad you got something out of it.
Chad

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
Ok thanks for all the input, one of my engine mounts is low but not too bad, got quoted $400 to replace all at a mechanic, I wouldn't even try it myself, I researched a bit though and supposedly the mounts are sensitive to position and need to be very accurately placed, just something I remember reading, may or may not be as extreme as it sounded.

Chad, do you just need new tyres or do you have a wear issue, I have a lot of experience with my own tyres and their config to help with that if you want to ask you're welcome to.

Real easy to do....very basic stuff. I also suggest to do it yourself.
Just remember to use Safety Stands if your doing it on the ground, Place stands under the Chassis on both sides and continue to use the Trolley Jack to lift engine.

They are not necessarily sensitive to position as all you do is place the studs into the holes and place nuts on them. You don't need to measure the engine to chassis/body. Just fit and tighten. Holden has already done all of the measurements for you by designing the Vehicle before the Vehicle was even built.

b0tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 Sportwagon
Ah good stuff....i had to move the ac compressor as i wasnt willing to cut a spanner down and dont have a blow torch. Unfortunately for me, someone had previously rounded one of the nuts directly behind the serpentine belt, so i spent the best part of 2 hours with a small file filing the nut off just to move the compressor!

The rest went somewhat straight forward, just time consuming. It took me about 6-7 hours, but the first 2 was on the ac.

I started straight after work, got to bed at about midnight that night....

About a week later i was under the car for something else and saw the 4 nuts holding the mounts to the k-frame were loose! Glad i caught it before something went wrong!

I got my mounts from Repco, but solid ones instead of oil filled.

evilopinions

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
What is an estimated cost you should look at by getting them replaced at a mechanic ?
I need them replaced.
I live in melbourne

b0tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 Sportwagon
Couple of hundred maybe...a mate of mine had his done and paid about $350 or so.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
120-150 a side ..... plus mounts

or 2-3hr of your own time doing it. I got 2 mounts delivered for 32 bucks from ebay ....(transgold brand) super cheap have the same ones 54 each.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
could just follow this thread .

Changing Engine mounts ECOTEC V6 (THE EASY WAY)

or

Thread: Changing 3.8 V6 Engine Mounts (VS-VY)

Last edited: