Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine mounts, radiators and A/C fans

mrnamjama

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
Hey there

I have a 2015 VF2 SSV (80k on the clock) with what I'm told are engine mounts that need replacing. Doesn't sound uncommon, that part...

The car also has an intermittent whine that goes up and down with the speed of the A/C fan... it seems much louder in winter because I can rarely hear it these days. Seems to disappear if fan is set to '2' or lower.

I also got a sudden 'engine overheating' message a couple of days ago. No coolant in the radiator and evidence of a leak underneath it... it's going to a radiator place next week

Any insights on any of the above? If I have to get engine mounts done, would it make sense to try to get whatever that fan is looked at/replaced? Radiator failing at less than 100k kms?? I've had the car from new, services done by local Holden dealer.

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
Radiator could be stuffed because the engine mounts are munted ...ie the torsion of the engine/drivetrain speeding up and slowing down has probably pulled on the hoses and damaged the radiator... the ac fan is the least of your problems...fingers crossed the engine hasnt suffered any damage due to coolant loss.... my ls1 is 21 years old and still has original mounts...that said its not unusual for mounts to get damaged linelocked / hardshifting or changing direction without waiting for car to come to a complete stop......;) with luck once they have replaced everything it holds its normal working temp otherwise the bill is gonna get considerably hefty...

Last edited:

mrnamjama

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
Outstanding. Fingers crossed, as you say. The car has had a very reasonable life... With mechanical sympathy

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
The radiators usually weep at the back, at the bottom, as I had that happen on mine, and wasn’t able to locate the leak, as it was hidden by the Radiator fans shroud, however I could smell glycol all the time after it was driven and hot up to temp.
The engine mounts are as common as chook poo,
I have replaced a few on mine, and they are not to hard to do yourself,
But DONT put the cheap Chinese ones in, get some genuine quality, or the SuperPro ones if you can afford them.
Then it will be nice and quiet and smooth again,
Also check the Radiator fan motor that they are not noisy, as I had to replace one of mine (drivers side) as the bronze rear bearing had failed, yes bronze bearing, where they do have a Ball bearing race on the front of the fan motor.

Last edited:

lordsnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
The radiators usually weep at the back, at the bottom, as I had that happen on mine, and wasn’t able to locate the leak, as it was hidden by the Radiator fans shroud, however I could smell glycol all the time after it was driven and hot up to temp.

Hmm I might have something similar.. can smell something when hot and the overflow bottle ever so slowly drops level, but I can't see any dry coolant on the engine anywhere.

Can the shroud be unattached and moved in place to see the weep without pulling it all apart?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Hmm I might have something similar.. can smell something when hot and the overflow bottle ever so slowly drops level, but I can't see any dry coolant on the engine anywhere.

Can the shroud be unattached and moved in place to see the weep without pulling it all apart?

Yes, not hard to remove, take your time,
that's how I found my weep/leak,
and then its was pull the *$%&^ thing out,

And then Ordered one online,
Also order the new Fan Motors, received that in 2 days from GM,
Received the Radiator in 4 days,
Install everything and its runs perfectly.
the rest is history.
PS: No stinky glycol [but I did Wash "EVERYTHING" down with car foam via the Karcher]

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
i got these mounts a few months ago, they've been great so far no complaints.