Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine noise 2006 VE Calais

Travis Blackman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Calais turbo, Vz SV6, Ve Calais
G'day Guys n girls.

First post so I will try not to bore you.
Long story short, just bought an 06 ve calais with 230k on the clock, fixed a couple of cooling system issues and checked the engine over. Seemed to run fine, except for a little rattle on cold start up.
Drove it approximately 400kms before trying to drive up north. It developed a tick/knock and cut out when I pulled over to investigate. I managed to restart it after a couple of attempts. It now has a top end rattle/knock, idles ok but is noisy. Car has been towed to a transport yard now and I am flying up north. Previous owner reckons timing chains were done @ 200k. Never got hot or low on oil. Check engine light is on but I don't have my reader here. Previous owner said the light was due to O2 sensor.
Tried to attach a video but the file was too large.

Travis Blackman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Calais turbo, Vz SV6, Ve Calais
Okedokey here is the link to a video of the engine noise. I hope it works OK.

hookalaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 3.6
Whatever that noise is it sounds like a major mechanical fault. Lifters maybe.? Timing chain rubbing on guides or tensioner.? Sounds like multiple knocks when its revved
Definitely not a pcv valve tick lol. I just bought a ve 2006 calais too mines done 255k

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The lifters will be the least of the worries. I think what the O2 sensor was trying to tell you is that’s a new engine.

That crank is not happy in there.

Luckily they are easy to get. Anything major on these engines, swap the engine. It’s cheaper and easier than take no bits off it and fixing.