Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine noise after replacing inlet manifold gasket

weezlebub

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
I had some oil sludge under radiator cap so I replaced inlet manifold gasket which was obviously broken. Repair went ok and on first startup all was normal for a couple of minutes then some noise started and got louder and louder so I switched off. Anyone know what it could be? Car ran perfect before doing the repair.

Noise starts at 0:15

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
At first it sounds like the belt ticking which can happen after pulling the engine apart and dropping oil/sludge on it,
Remove the Belt and start it up again and see if the noise is still there, [yes, you can run it without a belt for a minute]
If the noise is not there, re-fit the belt and use a Stethoscope would be the best to check to were the noise if coming from.
Changing a LIM Gaskets should not make any difference, fairly straight forward job.
You didn't leave any tools in the LIM Valley ?

Last edited:

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
yea gotta be belt related or u dropped a nut down the valley or the pcv valve is backwards or u tore a vaccum hose

weezlebub

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Thanks guys you were right, it was just the belt making that racket. Had me worried there I stuffed something bad up. :D
Found a leaky injector now leaking from the top of it. hope it's just an oring I've got to replace on it

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Last edited:

weezlebub

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Thanks will get one or another brand of belt. Havent been going Supercheap lately as found their normal prices on lots of items to be more expensive than autobarn and even repco