Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine noise at op temp

Fresh SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS+Turbo
Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been posted before.

If the car is warmed up while stationary if i free rev it and when the revs go down the tappets (i think) go nuts till it at idle again.. Is this normal??

Also while its idleing i can hear quite clearly something tapping (At operating temp)

Is this worth the trouble taking to Holden? (got warrenty on it till 175,000km) Any help here would be great!

Cheers
Luke

My car is a VYSS 2003 131,000 kms Stock internals and some boltons

SSbeast

Reaction score
Yeah sounds like lifters. They hit a point where there is no load on them and they kinda float so it seems like the lifters are just knocking around. Could also be that they are worn out.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
mines got the same type of noise, more so when cold, but still there slightly when hot, holden told me its minor piston slap and gudgeon noise, i think it might be lifters or tappets, getting it checked out again by a workshop tomorrow who deal with alot of holdens and gen3's, see what they say, they said they've had a couple where its been the cats breaking up and rattling around, my vehicles got the factory exhaust and done 180k's, but holden told me nothing to worry about.