Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Noise, HELP!!!

T

tallicadude

Hey guyz,

just wondering if you could help put the finger on what could possibly be causing the engine noise, heres the details......

I have a 1997 series 1 VT SS 5ltr and about 4 months ago I put a new set of porcelain extractors on with a new exhaust and ever since I did that i've been noticing a rather annoying and noticable noise from the engine. I'm not sure if the noise was there b4 i change the extractors if it was i'd assume the the old manifold was just thick enough steel to lower the noise to a point where it wasn't heard from inside the car (not sure).

Now I know its not the extractors or exhaust leaking from joins etc. but it does sound like a fluttering noise like exhaust leakin however its not. when i say fluttering i mean to make the point that its not really a tapping noise.

I first assumed that it was a tuning problem like fuel mixture etc coz it sounds like an old car with the choke on, but i'm not so sure coz its noticable when you put your foot down aswell and usually with mixture problems the noise goes away or at least more faint when the fuel is forced through. also the noise isn't a constant speed it increase in speed with engine revs.

I hope this has made sense to some of you and if you have any ideas on what the prob may be i'd be wrapped.

Thanx Jay.

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV
my brother had a similar thing on his 5ltr clubsport. It turned out to be a dodgy gasket where the extractors mounted to the engine.

I know you said there are no leaks, but his wasn't there always and it did change with the amount of revs. I would get an exhaust shop to run their eyes (and ears) over to be sure... :)

Dezza

your local HSV dealer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
could be just the induction noise of the gasses going threw the extractors i thought the same thing on my vp when i got stainless headers on but it was just the gasses flowing threw but if your concerned about it take it to an exhaust mob and just get them to listen to it and im sure they could tell if your leaking somewhere

T

tallicadude

I'm not really sure but is it possible that it could be an engine problem and the extractors are just amplifying the noise? thus confusing where the sound is coming from? i have no evidence to suggest this its just another idea to throw into the pot.

and btw thanx for the responses so far guyz.

Jay.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Sound slike a bad seal to me, could even be warped headers(unlikely) but it can happen.