Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engine noise vr v6

tom slick

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6 commodore sedan
hi all,
the other day my trusty sedan developed a rattly noise in the engine bay.
Sounded like its coming from water pump area at idle when at highway speed it
does not seem noticeable. Am trying to fix myself so did a bit of homework and
ended up putting a new tensioner pulley on- no fix, new water pump-no fix,
new alternator- no fix. Am thinking of 3 areas now timing chain, power steering pump
or a friend suggested harmonic balancer. anyway I take the serpentine belt off and noise gose away
put it back on noise comes back. when I turn the power steering pump pulley by hand from 10 o'clock
to 2 o'clock I can feel and hear a slight ticking . when the belt is on and I turn the steering the sound
seems to increase but sond still seems to be coming from timing area.
Im in a quandry and hope someone has had a similar experience and can help me

thanks in advance

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
Check the idler pulley and bearing

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
With the belt on, eyeball the HB whilst the engine is idling...it should appear to run pretty true...no wobbles...
What happens if you turn the A/C on....sound change?
PS pump should be pretty smooth to turn by hand.
Remember sound travels - it may appear to come from the timing chain area but actually comes from something far away.
Sounds like you are doing your detective work in a methodical and elimination method which is the only way to go. Good Luck.
Final thought - the balance shaft bearings can wear and rattle in high mileage engine....if you are over 300,000km you should consider this.

Burnout124

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2/ VY SS 6sp
harmonic balancer more than likley a lot cheeper and easier than timing chain

tom slick

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6 commodore sedan
Am in the process of installing a new power steering pump. Unfortuneately Ive recently had a shoulder reconstruction
and am waiting on a friend to replace the hardened hose that runs from the pump tank to the steering rack ( probably
the original hose) before I can bleed and test. Will let everyone know as it progresses
Havent tried it with the aircon on but will when up and running again
engine has only 185000km

tom slick

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6 commodore sedan
alright finally got the powersteerin pump installed and guess what... noise is still there. So I guess it gets narrowed down to
the harmonic balancer or the timing chain. Ive done as much as I can do and have booked in to the mechanics on Monday.
expensive exercise in trying to do it yourself and maybe in hindsight I should of gone straight to the mechanic but I
guess ive got of new gear now that should be good for a few years to come. will keep all updated

tom slick

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6 commodore sedan
went to the mechanic today and he told me it was the harmonic balancer. Will have to wait and
see if thats all it is in a couple of days

tom slick

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6 commodore sedan
yep harmonic balancer was the culprit $281 later. then to add to it had oil in water when I got them to reverse flush radiator, turns out
that the inlet manifold gaskets have seen better days. mechanic said they only last about 10 years. so there you go in hindsight I probably
should have gone to the mechanic straight away and it could have saved me a heap of cash, but as they say **** happens. Hope this can help
someone out there with a similar problem

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Vr berlina 3.8 v6 , 1996 VS executive 3.8 v6
Hey there tom slick, did your car sound like a diesel when you say it sounded rattly in the engine bay? Mine sounds like a diesel, maybe timing chain or lifters? or tappets?