Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engine noise

reardo122

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz commodore
hi
ive just got back from a 500km trip, when i turned my car back on the next day and started driving it i can hear a really bad knocking/rattling noise from the engine around 2500-3500 rpm in every gear including netural, just wondering if anyone knows what this noise is before i take it in to a mechanic
cheers

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
Possible strecthed timing chain?

reardo122

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz commodore
thanks
is there anyway of checking it easily or not
cheers

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
It is sludged? Pull the intake off the throttle body by undoing the ring clamp, 7mm socket. Is the intake pipe full of oil?

Remove the oil cap and run your finger along the metal plate inside the opening, is there thick vegemite like stuff in there?

reardo122

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz commodore
hi yeah yeah theres oil in the throttle body and yeah there is vegemite like stuff on the metal plate

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Oh god no bad not good.

What's the service history like? How long since last service? Has it been serviced as recommended?

If it is sludge, change the oil ASAP. Do not drive till changed. Some people say flush it, pros and cons in link below. Then hope and pray that the bastard doesn't give up. But realistically, there's a pretty high chance of a new engine needed.

Here's some info on sludged engines, it's basically when your oil goes solid due to lack of changing it.
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vz-holden-commodore-2004-2006/217193-alloytec-v6-ppotential-sludge-build-up.html

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Changing oil wont make much difference if its badly sludged.

Either try and save it with engine flushing (no guarantees) or start looking at 2nd hand engines.