Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine noise

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Could be one of several things: drive belt worn out/glazed/slipping; misaligned/chipped pulley wheel; water pump bearings, etc. Any competent mechanic ought to be able to pinpoint that noise pretty quickly.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
The whinny is like that which arises when the idler pulley bearing is gone. It is familiar to me from having this noise in my VZ Commodore (2015), but this is from a VF, so might be other areas of enquiry (mind you the VF does have an idler pulley too).

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I have put it on public I don't know what else I can do

had to log out of facebook to see it

pretty sure that is your water pump mate, get a long handled screw driver and put it on the pump and put the handle to your ear, then probe other places and see where the noise is louder.
check other pulleys too by putting the screw drive on their bolts or as close to them as possible.
check the alternator too, pretty much check everything the belts are running on.

you could also slip the belts off and that will tell you straight away if it is one of the pulleys or pump etc

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... get a long handled screw driver and put it on the pump and put the handle to your ear, then probe other places and see where the noise is louder...
It is much safer to use a mechanics stethoscope as you can keep your head away from dangerous components. You can use a screwdriver but it would be no fun moving your head down towards the screwdriver end only to have your hair or some loose cloths get caught in the drive belt...

In lieu of a mechanics screwdriver, a short length of garden hose also helps localise the sound and is much safer than a screwdriver. Put one end of the hose to your ear and use and move the other end to the components you want to hear... it cuts out the other sounds and you’ll quickly notice which part sounds odd... That’s what I use ;)

So just a heads up to @michele porter in that whatever method you use, exercise some caution and be aware where spinning parts are in relation to your body parts and cloths :rolleyes:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
It is much safer to use a mechanics stethoscope as you can keep your head away from dangerous components.

for the last say 80 plus years a screw driver was the mechanics stethoscope but yes if you are the type of person that cant workout there are dangerous moving parts while an engine is running and you dont take the proper precautions while inspecting it you should not really be working on it and you should leave it to someone that knows how to work on machinery.

my stethoscope is 50cm long and has served me well over the years to diagnose engine noises and open paint cans :D

Last edited:

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
As well as the pulley/pump noises, it sounds like electrical arcing in there as well, perhaps check your coils, plugs and leads too.

Out of interest, when did it last have a proper service?