Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NSW] Engine Number Information

Scooter2708

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore
Hi guys, just got a motor with the engine number N968079P. Has EFI and a T700 fitted but came out of a toner. I can’t find any info on this prefix, other than a comment that the N and P related to the state (NSW) and Police, but this doesn’t sound right. Can any help shed any light on what car this may have originated from?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Might help if you mentioned what kind of engine it is and what model it came out of.

Scooter2708

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore
Might help if you mentioned what kind of engine it is and what model it came out of.

yeah sorry, it’s a Holden block with 5.0L stamped on the side. Looks like it’s out of a VN-VS Commodore but I can’t see it matches any of the usual prefixes.

Scooter2708

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore
Well that's any ones guess, you can pay to find out on websites..
I have searched for online search options before posting the questions here and found plenty of websites on the old holdens but couldn’t see any pay to search ones. Happy to do so though. Thanks

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
yeah sorry, it’s a Holden block with 5.0L stamped on the side. Looks like it’s out of a VN-VS Commodore but I can’t see it matches any of the usual prefixes.
Oh k that narrows it down, I thought they changed transmissions in the vr onward models or was that only in the V6.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Must be able to ring rego authority who have access to NEVDIS data (an Australian database intended to stop vehicle rebirthing of stolen vehicle/parts). Or ring PPSR and check engine numbers and or vin for it being encumbered, stolen or such. PPSR has fee if you get printout (but it’s been a while since I used it). Alternatively, send an email to HCC ;)

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Won't find that out what itr is off re-issued numbers or what we used to call cop numbers...they're basically random.

A few ways to work out what it came from like build/cast dates stamped on front of block above water pump,cast date on throttlebody,ecu part number or even look at tag on auto or whether it's cable th700 or later 4l60e if so which one.Can sometimes tell which model by wiring harness....

Map sensor or maf yada yada yada...take pics or google what you find.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
As above, is there a code on the front of the block on the passenger side where the timing case meets the block?